xml based generic cmd gui

EzequielM

Just finishing up this project, basically a dynamic interface for command line executables that builds itself according to the commands, options, optionTypes, and option default values espeficied in a xml file.

Sort of like "a gui to rul'em all", it turned out to be quite a time saver. Specially when threading (tdlmake), building up commands to execute in the console with default activated arguments and values, etc (for shaderdl, ptcfilter, merge etc), and handy as it runs inside houdini maya and as standalone.

I plan to upload it soon after a little extra testing, and i was just wondering i might add some extra functionalities before releasing it

Whatd you guys find useful in a interface like this? whatd you want it to have? Whats the thing you cant live without when cmding on a console? simple input/ouput? wildcards? regex? pipes? redirects?

Edited by EzequielM

Most important for me when it comes to CLI programs is too be able too:

*Send needed arguments to the program so it can run silently if that is what i wan't too

*Pipe the output into awk or sed or something to reformat it for my specific needs

*Point the output to whatever file for logging and later debugging

Sounds like an interesting project. Ill be watching the thread.

never considered awk or sed until now, good one

What do you pipe to sed? the plain simple stdout? Would it be possible for you to send me any example stream you feed sed with from another command or how you pipe it?

Im finishing up some details and ill package it with a complete 3delight/houdini cmd xml schema for testing. Houdini commands tested but not completely described in the xml yet.

Its getting harder and harder to work late in this when is a sunny uk summer outside!!! :)

Edited by EzequielM

There are numerous ways to get inputdata for sed, stdout and a pipe is one. I mostly use sed for regular IT admin stuff. It's nice to be able to write a regexp grabbing only relevant output from a program and outputting it the way you want.

In Sweden it just rains and rains. I get nothing done anyways tho as i make up for the productive weather by being sick instead.

Most important for me when it comes to CLI programs is too be able too:

*Send needed arguments to the program so it can run silently if that is what i wan't too

*Pipe the output into awk or sed or something to reformat it for my specific needs

*Point the output to whatever file for logging and later debugging

Sounds like an interesting project. Ill be watching the thread.

I haven't use awk too much, but sed is soo cool to folter text.

The UNIX way!