A Light Instancing Effect

Anyone want a challenge...

I'm currently working on realistic fireworks for my master project and have ran into a render time issue. Hoping someone might know a good workflow for creating this type of effect ? ? ? ?

As at the moment I'm using point light instancing to illuminate smoke sprites but the render time is over an hour per frame for only 5 point lights instanced.

I have saved out the sprite sequence as bgeos and turned off the firework particles so what im rendering is, 5 point lights with sprites at HD but SD taking as long. Also ive read up that the katy perry music video used a set of otl's but does anyone know what the set-up inside consisted of so that I could recreate this ?

Example files, where to look info anything will help...

Thanks In Advance

hmmm doesn't sound like a light instancing issue, but rather a sprite instancing issue. What is your texture size? How many points? Have you tried delayed read load?

An example file would help sort the issue out....

Hi thank you for the reply, I have attached an example file of the firework containing: The firework particles / The smoke particles and Light Particles.

I have searched everywhere for a solution, to creating photo realistic fireworks but could only find the reference from katy perrys music video and tron which apparently took guys from digital domain months to create.

P.S Would the proposed method of light instancing be the best way to go about this ? As my shot is in the sky and wanting the fireworks to illuminate the smoke, not only from its own trails but also from others that haven't faded away.

Also ive noticed at the end of the smoke trails the sprite is extremely apparent is there a way to stop this ? Any papers ect on creating this effect would be great..

Thank you really appreciate the help.

Lyonz

FireworkFX.hipnc

Edited by Lyonz

Hi thank you for the reply, I have attached an example file of the firework containing: The firework particles / The smoke particles and Light Particles.

I have searched everywhere for a solution, to creating photo realistic fireworks but could only find the reference from katy perrys music video and tron which apparently took guys from digital domain months to create.

P.S Would the proposed method of light instancing be the best way to go about this ? As my shot is in the sky and wanting the fireworks to illuminate the smoke, not only from its own trails but also from others that haven't faded away.

Also ive noticed at the end of the smoke trails the sprite is extremely apparent is there a way to stop this ? Any papers ect on creating this effect would be great..

Thank you really appreciate the help.

Lyonz

The look im wanting to achieve is similar to the pyro cascade preset for After effects, hoping to get the same render times with houdini: http://www.trapcode-content.com/movies/Pyro_Pack_Reel.mov

Simple question,

Im trying to work connect a goal particle chain to my network but only works if i bypass a trail chain, even though it shouldnt effect it ???

Also why can a collect node not be used at the bottom to join the particle goal chain and the another ? Nothing appears in viewport.

Lyonz

WHY.hipnc

Edited by Lyonz