Fruit Tart - SideFX Cook-Off contest entry

AdrianLazar

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share with you my entry for SideFX Cook-Off contest.

cover_357.jpg

Just a few points:

- This is my first finished project done in Houdini and it was fun and a great way to learn the software;

- Modeling, shading, lighting and rendering is all done in Houdini and the Mantra render;

- No composing and no render on passes. This is the complete opposite of how I use to work but the contest rules don't allow using another software for compositing and I didn't had time to learn Houdini compositing part so I decided to render only the beauty pass. Was an interesting take but I missed the flexibility given by rendering on layers approach.

- I've applied some grading in post using Nuke as it is allowed by the contest rules;

- Edit was done using FCP X;

- Average render time per frames was around 20 minutes, peaking at 32 for the shot with the snowy sugar;

Hope you like it,

Thanks for watching!

Hope you like it,

Thanks for watching!

yes , i like it a lot . indeed since you started it , i liked its simplicity .

the slowness and the atmosphere are really ' sweet ' too .

one cannot notice what app is used in that , .. so ; well done !

.cheers

Thank you all!

As I said on SideFX forum I'm really happy you like it especially since it's my first completed Houdini project :D

It was a great learning method and even though I've barely scratched the surface of Houdini I feel a lot more comfortable using the software than I was at the beginning. I'm looking forward to start my next project in Houdini.

@hopbin9: I've made the raspberries and blackberries using a pretty basic semi procedural approach that involved the scatter and copy sop. Really basic stuff since I'm new to Houdini and to it's procedural workflow (which I love btw!)

• 3 months later...