FLIP Pyro Solver

aghourab

Hello Peeps!

For my masters thesis I created a custom FLIP Pyro solver in Houdini. The concept was to demonstrate Houdini's capability in supporting such an extension, and to demonstrate the memory, speed, scale and extensibility of a FLIP Pyro solver.

http://vimeo.com/27704019

This was all designed at a time when artists where busy clicking and tweaking away Houdini 11's Pyro parameters, and H12 wasn't quite on the Horizon just yet, so apologies in advance for some of the overlapping goals.

As a brief rundown, a FLIP Pyro solver utilizes the advantages of Langrangian and Eulerian systems in order to allow for faster simulation turnovers, and less resource intensive simulation requirements. Data is stored on particles, and particles simulated on low resolution grids have many more degrees of freedom than the grid, translating into lower RAM, secondary storage, and processing requirements. Artistically, provided a render-time shading solution, a FLIP Pyro system would allow for resolutions currently prohibitively expensive with current single volume solutions.

For those of you interested, the theory is provided in the Thesis. Apologies on the exclusion of the implementation, but I hope to adapt it to H12, create a proper rendertime shading solution, and iron out the workflow prior to release.

Feedback and Critique much appreciated.

Cheers

Ahmad

Thesis -> A Fluid Implicit Particle Approach to a Pyro Solver in Houdini

• Like 1

Cool to see your stuff online! Nice work!

I'm going to have a read and I'll post some feedback.

Have fun in Vancouver! I'll see if I can come visit you next year for a holiday or so, I'm liking Santa Monica too much for now :).

Thanks everyone!:)

Cool to see your stuff online! Nice work!

I'm going to have a read and I'll post some feedback.

Have fun in Vancouver! I'll see if I can come visit you next year for a holiday or so, I'm liking Santa Monica too much for now :).

Thanks Peter! Will do, and look forward to having you over next year! (Or if I ever get round to it, maybe head south your way)

Seemed like you spent alot of time doing your research :)

It took a while to write the report, but its not really all that time consuming actually. Its a moderate variation of the standard pyro solver, as all the evaluation is pretty much identical, but the method in which you introduce attributes and carry them on from one frame to the next is completely different. Overall it took around 2 months, and I'm sure it would be a lot less in a professional environment with support from other RnD professionals ;)

• 2 years later...