Jittery realflow meshes

Fredrik

Hi All,

we are doing some work where we use realflow to create super slow motion liquid renders.

The problem is that there is not enough continuity in how the meshes are built to avoid getting flickering bright highlights when we render.

It seems to be a problem with the mesher and we are running out of ideas of things to try in Realflow to get rid of the jitter.

I have seen some threads on the web with suggestions but it didn't sound like they solved it.

Has anyone here had and solved this problem before, using Houdini?

cheers

fred

Hi Fred.

Have you tried to decrease the polygon-size in RF? along applying filter to the mesher. You´ll end up with a higher

resolution in your mesh, but maybe its the trick to use.

You can try an see how well Houdini does the meshing by importing your RF-particles and apply a Particle Fluid Surface-SOP.

Then export them back.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/nodes/sop/particlefluidsurface

Erik

Typically when the mesh is flicking from RealFlow it stems from the user trying to make the mesh too sharp from a simulation that doesn't have enough resolution. It can also come from the polygon size being too large, especially if using the default. Can you post an image sequence of the flickering problem? Or if you want post a link if you posted in a RealFlow specific forum and we can go from there.

This sounds like it could be the case. I believe we are shaping the mesh a fair bit with various mesher params. (sorry I am not the Realflow operator)

It sounds like we need to try reducing the poly size as several people have been suggesting that. I'll try to get time to post an example.

Typically when the mesh is flicking from RealFlow it stems from the user trying to make the mesh too sharp from a simulation that doesn't have enough resolution. It can also come from the polygon size being too large, especially if using the default. Can you post an image sequence of the flickering problem? Or if you want post a link if you posted in a RealFlow specific forum and we can go from there.

Btw, how do I transfer particles from RF to Houdini?

Do I really need that plugin?

Can I do it via Maya?

cheers

fred

This sounds like it could be the case. I believe we are shaping the mesh a fair bit with various mesher params. (sorry I am not the Realflow operator)

It sounds like we need to try reducing the poly size as several people have been suggesting that. I'll try to get time to post an example.