J. Santos Demoreel

J.Santos

Hi guys!

Here's the link to my vfx demoreel.

Everything was modelled, animated, shaded and rendered in Houdini (same goes for particles and fluids) and comped in Nuke.

Additional software used was Photoshop, Mudbox and PFtrack (in a shot that didn't make it...:( )

Thanks to all family, friends and od[force]rs that helped me out with tips, tuts and what not!

Hey Joaquim, please forgive me for being so frank about it. But in my humble opinion, I think that you should focus you reel more like a "what I did" then "how I did it". The way it is right now, is looking more like a "making of" than the actual feature reel.

Your final results already speak by them selves, showing what you can do, so emphasize them. :)

Edited by Andz

Hey Joaquim, please forgive me for being so frank about it. But in my humble opinion, I think that you should focus you reel more like a "what I did" then "how I did it". The way it is right now, is looking more like a "making of" than the actual feature reel.

Your final results already speak by them selves, showing what you can do, so emphasize them. :)

Hi Andz!

All opinions are valuable and being frank is good in my book!

So thanks for your opinion and I would like to ask you how you would approach that? This might sound a dumb question but the thing is that I did everything on that reel (3D, photography, compositing and so on) so I'm kind of wondering what do you mean and how to give more relevance to it... Would you just show the final pieces and nothing else or...?

Any help is appreciated!

;)

I agree with Andz.

And fortunately, the solution is simple. Simply put your shots first, and then briefly show the breakdown if you want to. If this reduces your demo reel to 30 or 40 seconds, so be it.

If you don´t have a big volume of work (it ain´t easy depending what your previous experience is) don´t try to "inflate" it. It won´t make it better, just longer.

A wise men said once "Being frank is good in my book" :) Apply it to your reel.

My 2 cents.

Usually the "how it was made" is written down on the description where you describe your duties in each shot. If you really want to visually add the compositing steps in there, it shouldn't be longer than the actual final shot.

Lets say, the hand scene is around 10 seconds. Try to leave the whole shot play once all the way, since you're also intending to show your animation skills. Right now you are already pausing the video on some places and at first it looks like either glitches on the animation or in the video player. Once the whole clip plays, if you wish to show the steps, try to show them on the video playing at least in the same original speed even if there were a zillion steps on compositing, either show them being layered really fast or showing only the key ones. At this pace you are really allowed to fastforward on least important frames and slow down again to normal speed or even maybe a pause on really interesting parts of this shot.

(I hope I explained what I meant in a not to confusing way)

Ok!

New one! Edited off some transitions and this time I show the "making off" at the end of each project...

I was going to try to put them all together and than show the making off but I really was enjoying the flow of it like this...

C&C always welcomed...

By the way, I kept on Vimeo the old one because I already sent it to other places and don't want the link to die...

Big improvement! Kudos and good luck with job-hunting B)

Thanks man! ;) Do you think it would be better if I added (after the turntable) some flipbook renders I have of the water being simulated and some debris and smoke tests I did for another project?

Eric_JE @ DUhhh (Homer Simpson impersonation...)Damn... I-ll do that on the next occasion... Thanks for the tip!

well...I guess that depends on the quality of those simulations. The water didn´t struck me as the best part of the shot, and I tihnk that submarine shot is already long enough.

SO I would add those smoke and debris simulations, but only if they´re good...duh! (again)