Is there a way to add thickness to a geometry in Houdini?

magneto

I don't know MAX's Shell Modifier, but try Poly Extrude SOP

Thanks Ehsan, I will try it at home. Normally for apps that don't have this feature though the extrude never works because of intersecting geometry and other issues, and the ability to thicken the inner and outer, etc.

If I understand you correctly the downside of using extrude is that if the faces transforms along the normals the distance between two faces becomes either too small or big and they will eventually intersect? And what you want is to preserve the shape so even if the "shell" is inwards or outwards the shape remains intact? I think you can get by using ehsan parizi suggestion but instead of using the regular transform handle for offsetting the faces go in to the "Global" tab in the PolyExtrudeSOP and tweak the "Scale" parameter.

Edited by SoulVector

If I understand you correctly the downside of using extrude is that if the faces transforms along the normals the distance between two faces becomes either too small or big and they will eventually intersect? And what you want is to preserve the shape so even if the "shell" is inwards or outwards the shape remains intact? I think you can get by using ehsan parizi suggestion but instead of using the regular transform handle for offsetting the faces go in to the "Global" tab in the PolyExtrudeSOP and tweak the "Scale" parameter.

Yeah, here you can see the normal extrude distorts the corners:

RALCz.png

I will try what you suggested now.

Edited by magneto

I think that you probably have to adjust the settings depending on your geometry. It works for the few simple cases I tried. In my case, adjusting the Keep Shared Points option did the trick.

Actually I realized the Global Scale doesn't work on things like a grid.

Thanks Edward, your sample is pretty good. I think you are right, it doesn't seem like one setting would work for any geometry. Maybe an opportunity to make a DA ;)

• 2 weeks later...

What would be the end result of having the "Shell modifier" and will it solve every situation? I don't have Max and it would be interesting to see a couple of examples output.

I posted one example in the first post but I should post more, though I found out Max's shell modifier still have some artifacts in certain cases so it's not perfect.

Have you been able to emulate Max's "Shell Modifier" successfully using the existing parameters in the Extrude and PolyExtrude SOP?

I tried a few using the existing nodes but just like Edward said, it doesn't work for every geometry. So have to adjust case by case. I think implementing one maybe like in blender could be interesting:

60a7ae0bfc.jpg

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-256-beta/solidify-modifier/

• 9 years later...

The Thicken SOP, from Labs is great for this, in case anyone stumbles onto this old thread, especially since it the second google result (for me at least) when searching "houdini thickness". if you don't have labs installed you really should there are some neat tools in there that are super useful outside of gamedev.

• Like 4