How to make a RBD object start and shatter up in the air

J.Santos

Hi guys!

The title may not be very explicit so I'll just explain what I'm (trying to) doing:

I have a box (later on will be another object) that I'm breaking up using Voronoi fractures (make breakable) that uses in turn a magnet force, so I can have the look that something blew inside it.

If I do the simulation in position 0,0,0 all is ok!

If I try to do it somewhere in Y, like 4 units up, all hell breaks loose!

So far I tried to: remove gravity - the object falls nonetheless... because of the RBD solver I guess;

Constrain the object to a point in space - weird result with the object not breaking but instead wiggles around...

Use a static object, with display turned off and active just in the 1st frames ( if $ST < 5, 1, 0)... this one works!!! -> yeah right... this is not my week... it keeps the object afloat however... the static object doesn't disappear so a couple of fragments sit in the air... :(

Is there a better way? Some way to tell in the solver that it should ignore gravity for a couple of frames? Or should I keyframe the mass so the object "floats" in the said couple of frames???

Any thoughts would be great... I'm slowly loosing my mind with this!

Cheers!

Edited by J.Santos

Is there a better way? Some way to tell in the solver that it should ignore gravity for a couple of frames? Or should I keyframe the mass so the object "floats" in the said couple of frames???

Keyframe or put a expression in the active parameter on the gravity node.

Keyframe or put a expression in the active parameter on the gravity node.

:blink::ph34r: ... why was I thinking in complicated stuff...

I'll try that one asap... but it sounds so logical... I need to check in my brain and ask another... right now I was trying to remove an object out of sim after a few frames...

And yes, the if expression doesn't work because, as far as I'm aware, it checks if it's true or not and if it is, it creates/activates the object and doesn't check back...

Thanks a lot mawi!

misterbill @ I'll post you the scene as soon as I implement this solution, so you can have a working thing!

well... somehow it doesn't work... same goes to exclude the object from being affected by gravity... it just falls!

Any ideas?

-> here's the file... I think this is going to take some time to solve probably because I made an error somewhere and now I'm paying for it...

crackObject_07.hipnc

Edited by J.Santos

well... somehow it doesn't work... same goes to exclude the object from being affected by gravity... it just falls!

Any ideas?

-> here's the file... I think this is going to take some time to solve probably because I made an error somewhere and now I'm paying for it...

Have not looked at your file, but another solution is to untick the active object in rbd object node and then use a active value DOP to key when being effected by forces.

Hi mawi!

I haven-t tried yet your idea because of this: the simulation (and destruction) is to start at frame 1, so I don't have a moment where it should be off and then on... Despite having my magnet force (metaball) parented to the object at SOP level, the thing is that the magnet doesn't follow the object so as soon as it starts to fall, it's like the magnet force just stops acting (but the thing is, it never acts...)

I'm going to try and increase the sampling a bit so the cracking starts accurately at frame 1 and see what happens!

Update: tried and... fail!!!

Edited by J.Santos

I just did a quick test in a new scene file and I'm starting to think this may be a bug... I'll test tomorrow a bit more but so far the object doesn't fall (gravity bypassed but still an active RBD Object) and it is cracking... however at the moment its not "exploding"... :angry:

I just did a quick test in a new scene file and I'm starting to think this may be a bug... I'll test tomorrow a bit more but so far the object doesn't fall (gravity bypassed but still an active RBD Object) and it is cracking... however at the moment its not "exploding"... :angry:

Something like this?

fracture.hipnc