Slice a SOP at reg. interval in cam space

guache

I have a cam looking at an object. The cam is stationary, but it's rotated (not aligned to XYZ axes). The object has no xform. It has a part at the SOP level, part A. How can I slice part A in cam space like an egg slicer: ie. add parallel divisions/edges across it at regular intervals? One idea would be to xform the part by the inverse of the cam matrix, SOP Divide (Bricker), then put the part back in place. If anyone has better ideas (either for cam space xform or the slicing method), I'd love to hear them.

I have a cam looking at an object. The cam is stationary, but it's rotated (not aligned to XYZ axes). The object has no xform. It has a part at the SOP level, part A. How can I slice part A in cam space like an egg slicer: ie. add parallel divisions/edges across it at regular intervals? One idea would be to xform the part by the inverse of the cam matrix, SOP Divide (Bricker), then put the part back in place. If anyone has better ideas (either for cam space xform or the slicing method), I'd love to hear them.

one option would be to use a knife sop projected from the camera position whose orientation is the cross of the cam z and up..

Ok this was a little more complicated than I first thought, I thought it would be easy enough to project multiple knife instances but no... Tried using copy but that didn't quite work, because we want each successive cut to operate on the geometry created by the previous cut. So it only makes sense to take it into dops and use the sop solver. If you haven't used the sop solver before it can be tricky sometimes to get it to give you the right feedback.. let me know if you have any questions...

knife.hipnc

Edited by 3dbeing

It seems that for each operates much like a copy sop... meaning it's creating new geo for each loop rather than operating on the existing geo.

If you display the forEach node and turn on point numbers you will see what i mean. Whereas the sop solver is working on the existing geo. Unless I'm not understand the for each and I'm doing something wrong in which case I'd love to know how to do it right! :unsure:

knife_forEach.hipnc