What's the best way to export splines from Max into Houdini?

magneto

I have a few dozens of splines that aren't NURBS in Max, and want to import them into Houdini using the File SOP.

I only have Max at work so would OBJ format be the best choice?

Also I want to turn them into NURBS in Houdini, either on import or afterwards, if that's possible.

Thanks.

Edited by magneto

You can do this.

Export the splines in Max to an Illustrator file (AI) and then use a File SOP to load it into Houdini.

The splines will come in as Bezier shapes, but you can use a Convert SOP to change them to NURBS.

Just out of curiosity, this also works for 3d splines???

That list on sesi website is incomplete.

They missed iges which is unbeaten when it comes to exchanging Nurbs (worked great for me in Houdini <-> Rhino workflow)

Forgot to add, you may want to remove colour attribute which may slow down viewport for some reasons. On the the other hand it is a cheap way to exchange groups.

• Like 1

Thanks IGES does really work the best. Although it seems to automatically surface closed curves. Also when I split my closed curves from its 4 corners, the import brought like 500+ curves where I only have 50. Lots of dups on top of each other.

That happened when I converted them to NURBS in Max. I couldn't try the split method without converting to NURBS because Max always crashes on export.

Still I got the curves.

Thanks all :)

Thanks IGES does really work the best. Although it seems to automatically surface closed curves. Also when I split my closed curves from its 4 corners, the import brought like 500+ curves where I only have 50. Lots of dups on top of each other.

That happened when I converted them to NURBS in Max. I couldn't try the split method without converting to NURBS because Max always crashes on export.

Still I got the curves.

Thanks all :)

You could try recreating curves in Houdini.

Yes that would be the cleanest way. I might write a small script to output curve input data the way Houdini does when you create one interactively. It's also pretty easy to write this as a file and have a python importer that could create these curves in a network for you. Although I am not gonna do that, if I actually write a maxscript, I will share it with the forum :D