Python In Houdini Error Distance Finder

ZeLemur

I am sure i am just over thinking this however i believe i am just messing up searching and sorting a list with in a list

Any Help would be appreciated.

import math
import random

geo=hou.pwd().geometry()

#x will equal total number of points
x=10

LOOT = range(0,x)
while len(LOOT) >= 0:
#taking the list of the number of particles avalible and choseing one at random 
    CP = LOOT[random.randrange(0,len(LOOT))]
    apart = [geo.points()[CP].position()]
    DistanceBP = [0,0]     

for l in range(0,len(LOOT)):
        N = LOOT[l]
        if N == CP:
            continue
        elif N != CP:
            bpart = [geo.points()[N].position()]
            qrt = math.pow(bpart[0][0]-apart[0][0],2)
            PW = math.pow(bpart[0][0]-apart[0][0],2)+math.pow(bpart[0][1]-apart[0][1],2)+math.pow(bpart[0][2]-apart[0][2],2)
            DistanceFinder = math.sqrt(PW)
            DistanceBP.append([DistanceFinder,N])       

#sorting the distance to find the shortest distance and placing them in variables to be transfered to Tesselation

DistanceBP.sort()
    P2a = DistanceBP[1][1]#<-- this is where the error is reporting a problem 
    P3a = DistanceBP[2][1]
    P2= geo.points()[P2a].position()
    P3= geo.points()[P3a].position()

#removing them from loot
    LOOT.remove(CP)
    LOOT.remove(DistanceBP[1][1])
    LOOT.remove(DistanceBP[2][1])

My first reaction is that DistanceBP is a one-dimensional array of two-element tuples, but you're trying to access it like a two-dimensional array.

Then again, the same seems to be happening with apart and bpart, and if they're working then I must be wrong.. :)

(..or do they work because the first subscript is always 0?)

• Like 1

My first reaction is that DistanceBP is a one-dimensional array of two-element tuples, but you're trying to access it like a two-dimensional array.

Then again, the same seems to be happening with apart and bpart, and if they're working then I must be wrong.. :)

(..or do they work because the first subscript is always 0?)

I was under the impression that for apart that having brackets would allow me to declare apart as a tuple element. I have yet to test it but i guess that is over kill and python already recognizes it as a tuple from the .position call. Thus it places it in a array because of the brackets.

My intention was to create DistanceBP and have that be a list which each element of the list contains two-element tuples. Thus allowing me to run a simple sort() on the distance and then utilize the second element of the tuple containing the points number.

So, i guess my question would be where did i go wrong with that. :unsure:

i found that the problem was with in my syntax and or with in what the variable that i called on creates. points()[pn].position() returns a vector3. Python has its own vector 3 class which will simplify most of my problems. Thank you all for you help. happy coding

:)