Fire

JuriBryan

Hey I am running in to on problem after the other...;P

I am trying to direct a flame around a corner and down a corridor....

For that I created a particle system that does just that and now I am trying to control the pyro FX with sad particle system.

I tried the techniks thought in this cmiVFX tutorial:

http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials/view/276/Houdini+Smoke+And+Dust

Here is also a my hip....

it is actually not the real hip... it is more a test file for me where i try out the effect... but the main effect is the same.

I hope some one has a idea on what I am doing wrong here... it is just not working.....

FluidTest.hipnc

Hey I am running in to on problem after the other...;P

I am trying to direct a flame around a corner and down a corridor....

For that I created a particle system that does just that and now I am trying to control the pyro FX with sad particle system.

I tried the techniks thought in this cmiVFX tutorial:

http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials/view/276/Houdini+Smoke+And+Dust

Here is also a my hip....

it is actually not the real hip... it is more a test file for me where i try out the effect... but the main effect is the same.

I hope some one has a idea on what I am doing wrong here... it is just not working.....

1. Are you trying to emit from the particles or the sphere? Your SOP path in the "apply source DOP" is set to a obj-level path wich will read the current display-SOP in that node.

2. Your particles are animated and you need to set the sopgeo DOP to "set always" on SOP Path and Time parameters to read them in every frame.

3. A tip as you have named your data "Particle" in sopgeo DOP..

Default, DOPs only display geometry data called Geometry. Connect a rendering parameters DOP and plug it to the green input of sopgeo to display that data.

I gave the nodes I changed a nice pink color. :)

Just noticed that I can´t understand what I just wrote, so please ask if you find it unclear. :blink:

particlesFix.hipnc

Edited by mawi

no makes perfect sense;P

the only thing that is not all to clear to me is the need for the render parameters node....

It is just used to show the particles, right?

why not just turn the particle on in their own geo node?

I am just wondering, if the particles would with this method also show up when i cache out the fluid sim or not!

And thanks a lot again.... you helped me a lot!

no makes perfect sense;P

the only thing that is not all to clear to me is the need for the render parameters node....

It is just used to show the particles, right?

Correct. Only Geometry data named "Geometry" is by default displayed in DOPs.

why not just turn the particle on in their own geo node?

Well you could, but then you would need the ghosting of other context on to see them, wich I sometimes find distracting when working inside DOPs.

Also, with your setup that would move the sourcing from sphere to particles since you would move the display flag.

I am just wondering, if the particles would with this method also show up when i cache out the fluid sim or not!

And thanks a lot again.... you helped me a lot!

Nope. It doesn´t do anything to your cache unless you choose to.

hey i just now head the chance to try the technique in my real scene and i wound work...

the smoke is following generally the direction of the particles but is still basically doing what ever he wants....

So i was wondering if it is even possible to control fire in such a way that i follows a hallway.... or if I am just to plane stupid;P

here is the real .hip I am trying to find it out right now but no chance....

I thought about emitting the smoke from particles... but is efficient and can i still keep the illusion of a long flame up?

help is very much appreciated!

hallWayFireBurst.hipnc

no, i did not try it because i thought i cant change directions with it....

in the particle system i use collision groups to send the particles in a different direction.

can i do the same with pyro objects?

Heyya Juri,

First of all, in your hip file... /obj/HallWay/file1 is missing, so i cant really work with your hallway geo.

Second thing is, your scale is huge! are you aware of it?

However, Fire simulations are sometimes a lot different than smoke ones and what you are trying to do has many ways of achieving it.

Here is one, Temperature based simulation with some extra fuel on the "hallway" geomentry, i than call it with a sop_geo DOP, same as you did for the particles "N" normal, only this time i call "fuel" and pumping that into the fuel field - temperature based... All the rest is just tweaking of heat cooling time and burn amount, as well as turbulence and all the other fancy stuff :)

Hope that helps,

Cheers!

Ronen.

hallWayFireBurst_feedback.hipnc

no, i did not try it because i thought i cant change directions with it....

in the particle system i use collision groups to send the particles in a different direction.

can i do the same with pyro objects?

AFAIK, a pump object is nothing but a volume with a custom velocity field. As soon as the fluid enters in contact with this volume it inherits its velocity. A hall with a series of pump objects at the appropiate positions should work perfectly...at least from the top of my mind....

I´ve used pumps in the past with success, but not for a hallway. It should work, though...

You could try implementing custom velocity fields to direct the motion, for example along a curve around the corner. If you do a search on odforce, there is at least one thread (I believe there are more than one, actually) discussing how to do this along with some example files. I haven't the time to look into your file, so apologies if you've already tried this