Mixing Different viscosity's

jons

Hi all

Sorry I'm extremely new to this and have not touched Houdini but after watching a webinar by Escape-Studios I am debating switching my project from realflow/maya based to Houdini as basically I am doing my final year project at university and want to explore fluids and want to explore how fluids with different viscosity's react to freely moving surfaces so my plan is to create an smashing egg animation so yolk/white reacting with the egg shell. However for my project I don't want to use any compositing tricks I want to simply have an egg fractured with the fluid inside and mixing with each other as well as interacting with the egg shell. Which leads me to these questions;

Can Houdini mix two fluids with different viscosity's in the way realflow can and also when having a fractured object is it obvious that the object when textured is fractured or is the texture still seamless if that makes sense.

Sorry if I have not done this appropriately but i'm new and even if I do decide to use realflow for my animation as I know the software a little better already, I will most certainly be hoping to join this community over the summer to prepare for making a reel to look for a runner role

Thanks

Jon

Retaining texture uv on broken pieces: yes.

Mixing different viscosities: Not sure if out of the box, but viscosity can be approximated by blurring velocity fields, or randomizing their directions (not length), and so there should be a way to control that on a per-voxel basis with a field. It may be a bit of a setup though...

If you are new to Houdini, and you need to solve this quickly, I'm afraid it may not be a good idea.

Edited by Macha

Ok well if you want my honest opinion, in your situation use realflow.

Houdini can definitely achieve what you want quite easily, but the learning curve will be quite steep in your time frame.

I'll have a quick go tomorrow for you if I remember to show you how to do it, it shouldn't be to trying for a simple example.

But you will hit difficulties and frustration along the way, which you might not have the time for getting your project finished.

It's a different way of thinking, which can stump your progress at the beginning.

On a different note, why apply for a runners position? It's definitely a way of getting your foot in the door, but there's no harm in pitching higher, especially with a smaller company as a Junior TD or even a matchmover if there's a shortage of positions.

Good luck!

Christian

Thanks for the advice guys, I did think the learning curve looked steep but i'm from a more technical background as I do a course called Multimedia Computing which is basic 3d and video but then we have software development also so the node way of doing things and procedural way of working really does seem like a good fit in the future when I have time after my degree to learn Houdini. With the runner plan it was because I'm not doing a fully fledged 3d Course that I felt I might struggle but i've saved money for extra rent so I can spend the summer here working on different things for my reel and matchmoving is on my list to learn as I've heard that's a great way to get your foot in the door.

Thanks for all the help guys will most welcome any advice literally any advice you guys can give :)!

Cheers

Jon

If Houdini interests you, then go for it, you might take to it quickly, but not quick enough to get a project out by April/May :blink:

I'm presuming you're in the UK, I don't know why, I just get that vibe.

You've probably had people left right and centre telling you it's hard to get into the industry and running is a good way to go, but the thing is, if you're good enough (read: lucky enough), there's no reason not to be able to get a better position than cleaning up after messy nerds. I'm not saying you'll easily walk in, just pitch yourself a bit higher, go for the matchmove positions at least, if no-body has any (they're mainly over in Singapore and India these days) then take the runners position while working on Houdini at home.

Yeah I'm going to stick to realflow and then when I finish learn as much as I can on Houdini. Yeah I'm from the UK but I do like the idea of learning to matchmove and going for that type of role as I feel I will progress quicker in that role than being a runner as I imagine it's hard to show how quickly you learn and adapt to problems when just cleaning so I will definitely try and make some projects for myself over the summer to try and get a bit of matchmoving in my reel. Thanks for all the help! do you have a reel yourself?