Wheat field

coffeestains

Hello every one !

IM totally new to the houdini but im trying to make it my primary software ASAP ( im a maya user )... so i came up with assignment for myslef with would be "wind blowing thru wheat field".

Because im a beginner my idea for this might be bad , so i need some clues ( not expecting any one to make it for me - just point me in some directions ) .

so - heres more less effect im looking for :

and now ill tell you what i got and what im looking for :

I got :

1)GRAIN object that contains :

-tube - proxy for model of a single wheat

2)GROUND

-object merge for GRAIN and GRID -> scater , and copy node that positions single wheats on the grid in random position ( scater ) , and random rotation ( stamp atribute )

3)AUTODOP

with is a regular autodop but with added pin constrain for the wheats hold into one place , and wind force to make them wave.

WHAT im looking for now is :

1) weight / stiffnes map to add to singiel wheat to make it bend on the wind not fall like a stick.

2) how to make , singiel wheat not intersect with others , but collide

3) restrictthe angle of deflection on pinconstrain.

as I said before - I dont want any one to solve this project for me ... just point me into some directions if you please .

thank you in advance

Frank.

im attaching current .hip file to look at if what i wrote is not understandable.

grain_field.hip

all right ... so I'm stuck ... what I did was:

1) make a tube , make a wire object of it , add wire pin constrain at the root , add a wind force and copy it on to scattered grid.

PROBLEM :

1) that way every single wheat is copied after sym - so each and every one on the field acts the same way.

SOLUTION :

1) copy only geo , and make the field a wire object - and it acted quite good - as expected.

PROBLEM :

1) when i copy only single wheat geo , I get no constrain so single wheats flows around the field.

QUESTION :

1) can I copy geo with the constrain ? - if yes how - because I cant some how get object into "object merge" from DOP.

2) can i make something like a pin constrain but with volume ? what im expecting is when I change number of points ( number of wheats ) ill have to make a new constrain - and i really want it to be dynamic.

Ill keep working on it ... but if any one can push me in the right direction ... ill be thankful.

scene file attached.

wheat_field_v002.hip

Edited by coffeestains

• 8 years later...