How to find the point with the smallest value (HSV) using VOPs?

I am trying to use the For Loop VOP but I am stuck with comparing 2 color values, because I can't find a is greater, is less than VOP.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Basically I want to find the point number with the smallest Value (HSV) just by using VOPs.

Basically I want to find the point number with the smallest Value (HSV) just by using VOPs.

Probably not understanding completely what your after but:

There's a min vop:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.1/nodes/vop/min

I'm also pretty sure CompareVOP has a 'less than':

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.1/nodes/vop/compare

Or you use a sortSOP and pick the first point ...

Maybe ...

• Like 1

Hmm, this is pretty exhausting computation, isn't it? VEX will execute the loop over all points times number of points. For this reason people usually compute min/max of an attribute with AttributePromoteSOP.

Pure VEX/VOP method is to use Point Cloud by piping into position channel your color instead of P, so you effectively convert the point cloud into a color space. From that, it's easy to find minimum or maximum by opening a point could with extrema floats.

Edited by SYmek
  • Like 1

Thanks Symek, you are right. I just wanted to do this because I saw a VOP tutorial showing the for loop where I solved that problem differently but wanted to use the for loop VOP just to learn it by coming up some simple case, but not practical :)

I never used point clouds in Houdini, but if I do that, will I be able to find the point number or the color? :)

I basically want to capture this point in some way. For instance color it differently or put it in a group.

I couldn't do it using the for loop VOP because it seemed very unintuitive.

Also the attribute promote technique is very clever, but still I wonder how will I capture the point with the lowest value?

Another simple problem I was trying to solve was to color a the furthest point from the center in collection of points. Can I do something like this in VOPs?

Thanks man :)