How to get the number of points in a primitive?

I am trying to create a primitive attribute for each primitive in my curve that will store the number of points in each primitive but I couldn't find anything for this in the help.

Any ideas?

AttributeCreateSOP->Class:Primitive->Value:$NVTX

:)

• Like 2

You amazed me once again :) How does $NVTX work but $NPT didn't? Don't they count it for the whole object in both cases?

Symek for the president :)

Don't worry, I always felt like a president (which annoys most people), so I don't have to be one :).

As to $NVTX versus $NPT, Houdini, unlike Max for example, strictly separates the concept of point and the concept of vertex. Vertices always belong to and exists with primitives, and as such, are indexed by its membership, not with its number in geometry (which is pretty much useless). So, as you see, $VTX/$NVTX does make sense only for per primitive basis.

• Like 1

@magneto :

ha-ha ! funny because when i read the docs about NVTX-es my atention made a 'ricochet' ( because of minimalistic description there ) from expressions to HOM and stopped there :)

maybe the same thing happend to you too ( referring to first post ) .

now that i remember , i have used once $VTX to select prims with less than 4 points .. and guess where i found that ? .. on forums :)

.. and guess who posted that ? im 90% sure it was ..

.. yeah :) , i too vote for Symek as president , but

he should promise a for Better Houdini Documentation once he gets elected . j/k :)

• Like 1

Thanks Symek for explaining it. It's more clear to me now.

I don't mind you being a president though. Hell I would even vote for you :)

EDIT:

@zarti, yeah I like the docs but sometimes I find certain things a little unclear. But that could be because certain Houdini stuff is foreign to me.

Either way if Symek makes commercial videos or books, I am pre-ordering it :D

Edited by magneto