RBD Collision Guide Geometry - corners?

Andy_Ireland

First time posting here and I have what seems like it should a be simple problem but

I've been testing various things over the last few days and have had no joy

The problem I keep coming up against is to do with collision guide geometry rounding off corners

within a simple frame shape - a large cube with a small cube cut out of it, see attached.

Im using Houdini 11 Ray Intersect and even with the collision guide geometry divisions

turned up to very large numbers eg 400 400 400 the corners are still rounded

and the file becomes slow to work with...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

No attachment? In any case, make sure your box is aligned to the world space axes when creating the sim object.

Hi Edward,

I think he means the rounding of hard edges when the SDF is calculated for collisions; see attached

Don't recall seeing any particular tutorials/info anywhere on generating accurate collision geo, usually just something I have to play around with and live with the inaccuracy in the end hoping it isn't too obvious :unsure:

collisionCornerInaccuracy.hipnc

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem trying to get accurate collision geo for a FLIP sim. The tightest result I've gotten is by using Ray Intersect Mode, Division By Size with Divisions set to 0.0125. It's pretty close, but the gap is still noticeable when I render the meshed particle fluid flowing over it, particlarly when small splashes hit the surface and either hover over it or penetrate it and disappear.

Does anyone have suggestions for improving the accuracy of FLIP collisions against RBDs? I've tried using offsets (both positive and negative) but that doesn't help get a clean/tight intersection

Cheers

flipcollisionsurface_inaccurate.hipnc