Approach to complex destruction?

poppy

Hi

I'm looking for a good approach to destroy objects with parts, a house for example. How could I manage parts or layers of destruction?

Say, the pole is the strongest parts, roof tiles are easily fracture and falloff like rbd fractured, or walls and floor kinda stick together when fractured.

Definitely check this out if you haven't already:www.fxguide.com/featured/art-of-destruction-or-art-of-blowing-crap-up/

Also, Bullet's glue constraints networks can give quite a bit of control over the strength and clustering of different objects. For something like a building collapse you can use multiple Glue Network Constraints in DOPs or, if you're will to tweak some of the off-the-shelf tools like Glue Pieces and Glue Cluster in SOPs, you can create a single glue net with custom strength/clustering for as many different connected objects as you want (walls, supports, roofing, etc). You can further customize this by mixing in painted attributes as well.

All this can allow for some pretty dynamic destruction effects that convey a sense of structure to whatever is being demolished. Just keep in mind that, if you're going for full-on destruction, smoke/debris is going to end up covering most of your scene.

• Like 1

Definitely check this out if you haven't already:www.fxguide.com/featured/art-of-destruction-or-art-of-blowing-crap-up/

Also, Bullet's glue constraints networks can give quite a bit of control over the strength and clustering of different objects. For something like a building collapse you can use multiple Glue Network Constraints in DOPs or, if you're will to tweak some of the off-the-shelf tools like Glue Pieces and Glue Cluster in SOPs, you can create a single glue net with custom strength/clustering for as many different connected objects as you want (walls, supports, roofing, etc). You can further customize this by mixing in painted attributes as well.

All this can allow for some pretty dynamic destruction effects that convey a sense of structure to whatever is being demolished. Just keep in mind that, if you're going for full-on destruction, smoke/debris is going to end up covering most of your scene.

Thanks! I'm reading the article.

Is there any tutorial about Houdini's Bullet glue constraints network?

• Like 1

I haven't see any tutorials but the documentation on the various tools is pretty good. Use the Glue Adjacent shelf tool to get a working example going and dive into the nodes it creates to see what's going on under the hood. By default the Glue Pieces sop made by the shelf tool has settings that are way too high (something like 1000 points per area). Put this at something closer to 50 depending on the scale of your scene. The documentation has more info on how to calculate this too.

Also, check out this thread on the sidefx forum: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=20909&sid=6f70fa85e80041c1166afbdf2c173fe7. Jeff posts a nice example file in there after the thread gets derailed a bit and there are some other useful tips in there as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry but now I do not have rights for sharing this scene file

Very nice! can you explain a little bit your setup? Is everything pre-shattered, or is stuff shattered on demand? How do you control the breakup? Do you animate the breakup via modifying the glue network, or is everything driven by dynamics? How do you prevent the structure collapsing in on itself right from the start?

Thanks for any insights you can share!

.carsten