Is it possible to use different UVs for the same geometry?

For instance, I want an image map to fit into the geometry one way, so I need a UV, but then I need a different UV set for another image...how would you go about this? this could be of radical importance when mixing several images and procedurals, but I keep on finding the current workflow most cumbersome!

For instance, I want an image map to fit into the geometry one way, so I need a UV, but then I need a different UV set for another image...how would you go about this? this could be of radical importance when mixing several images and procedurals, but I keep on finding the current workflow most cumbersome!

You mean cumbersome of LayerSOP? Another method is to combine many uvs into a single uv extending its range to 0-1*nlayers. This requires a few wires (modulo operator) in Vops, to convert back to 0-1 per texture, but seems to be common workflow across other packages.

I find traditional Layer SOP and respectively Shading Layer Parameter VOP quite helpful and useful in this process

remember, that you don't have to use Layer SOP to get different layers of attributes, you can name them by yourself as uv2, uv3, or whatever, the same for Shading Layer Parameter, you can just read uv2 or whatever directly with parameter, however it will not be as flexible as former method, since with Layer SOP and Shading Layer Parameter you can let user choose which layer to use for which texture without him having to dive inside of the shader

Hi Netvudu,

I made a simple test on a grid.

Basically , what you can do is make a group for each of the UV projections.

Then in that same group make a material for it

I used a simple texture for test purposes.

Well this should be okay as long as you don´t have any overlaps

Mangi

post-2848-134264801946_thumb.jpg

2UVPROJECTIONS.hip

1 & 2.rar