Question about fur Guide ...

vbk!!!

As I asked to SESI forum :

Why fur guides need the same number of points ?

If guides have different point count then the fur Sop return an error "unmatched geometry".

I would like an explaination about it please.

Thanks

Vincent

they don't have to match

but in that case you will need Primitive attribute named "guideorigin" per each guide, containing root position of the guide, fur SOP will use Guide Radius parameter for the styling

here is the simple example of how to generate such attribute on random set of curves you want to use as guides

fur_custom_guides.hip

I think Vincent is asking why all guides have to have the same number of curve's points, right? It would be handy to control longer parts of the fur with denser points on guides, whereas keeping the rest of the guides simpler.

I suppose though that the answer is deeply buried in HDK GU_Fur object and comes from the specific implementation. For example new curves are created by interpolating guides attributes, which may be problematic for two inconsistent curves.

• Like 1

well for dynamics, you can always re sample according to the needs. (group the curves you want)

and after dops,

for each curve re sample again to get the same amount of points.

i think is because the procedural approach each curve have to be the same in the matter of points when construct the hair curves for rendering. since some parms will work on the length 0-1 but is doing the calculation before lunching the render and expect the same points for each curve to know what map.