Procedural's bounds work strangely

Hi

Mantra ignores the bounding box object.

The render result varies depending on the Mplay Tile Order (vm_image_mplay_direction)"

parameter, and not correct always.

houdini 12.0.717

Linux64 Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (linux-x86_64-gcc4.4)

OpenGL renderer GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 295.20

Who knows what's up?

post-3777-0-44292200-1351078378_thumb.jp

post-3777-0-53783800-1351078401_thumb.jp

post-3777-0-85845600-1351078437_thumb.jp

fur_ifd_bounds.hipnc

Edited by MagicRej

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the IFD bounds. The IFD bound is tell Houdini when to procedurally create the fur and when not to. The bound should cover everywhere there will be fur. This is a render performance optimization thing. If you don't want to mess with it you can simply select the option for "No bounding box required" on the fur procedural.

If you want to control where the fur exists and where it doesn't from an artistic standpoint that happens in the network for the fur. See the help for fur which covers it much better than I can in the forum post.

Hey guys! :)

Let's try to consider the simpler example - Delayed Load Procedural and its RIB analogue - Procedural "DelayedReadArchive".

I'm more experienced in renderman that's why I compare any mantra features with prman.

I wrote a little rib and confined the X between 0 and 1 and you can see the result on the attached picture - clipped geo exactly on the bound of X.

I did the same with mantra and also confined the X between 0 and 1, but in that case I see in my opinion very strange result.

Is it feature of mantra? Does it load procedural differently? Why the result not the same like in prman case?

I did the mantra test on Linux Ubuntu 10.04, houdini- 12.0.717.nc

post-4815-0-04202100-1351153429_thumb.jp

dra_ifd_q.hipnc

Edited by Ingvard