Fx animator/fx td/fx artist?

ethervoid

Hi, could someone help me understand the difference between those 3 titles? I suppose an FX TD handles more coding and tool development and "artist" sounds like more as a generalist inside the FX branch, but what's the "animator"? Don't the others deliver sims already animated as well? What are the practical differences? Thanks!

Depending on the studio they can all be basically the same thing, especially for smaller studios where people can wear many hats. If you want to get specific the effects technical director typically will solve complex technical problems related to effects and create tools to implement the solutions. The artists or animators use those tools to complete shots.

Yeah they're all the same thing. I've seen FX animator used by people before, but it's usually juniors who might have to take sim caches and alter them a bit to art direct them. I don't think most people would differentiate between an FX TD and an FX Artist! You should be both anyway! :)

As a former FX TD and a current FX Animator I must disagree with you Christian :)

For us at Disney, Animator is the senior title and Assistant is the junior title. TD's are in another department entirely and Artists don't animate.

Basically it's just different everywhere you go.

It depends on the company. In some places everybody is a TA, in others everybody is a TD, even modellers. I've also seen quite a mild distinction between senior and 'standard' TD, etc. There is no industry-wide standard on this.

A friend of mine made up the title of effects consultant.

Edited by Macha