Displacement control

hi guys,

im trying to duplicate the network i have plugged into the dif color of a surface model vop and turn the values to more controllable/seeable values of black and white, and plug it into the displacement amount channel of the displace along normal vop. but when i change values on the duplicated network of nodes, it changes the value of the old ones, i tried changing the names, it still did the same stuff. is there like a node i use to duplicate the network? or do i just simply have to rebuild the network using new nodes, which is totally cool, just i guess wondering if this is the way to go, or if (probably) theres a simple thing im missing.

thanks in advance. here is a image of what im referring to

post-8659-0-76665500-1354656224_thumb.pn

Are the settings your changing at the Shop level? It sounds like parameters at the shop level are referencing more than one parameter vop.

If this is the case when making parameters use $OS in the name attribute so when you copy/paste nodes they will automatically get renamed as to not conflict with others but the parameter will also change.

If problems persist it wont hurt to post a simple example.

All the best.

thank you my good sir,

i am sorry for my ignorance, however i cant seem to type $OS in any of the name attributes within my surfacemodel material. here is the scene file, and im also getting some weird artifacting on my displacement.. not even sure if im doing that right. thanks so much for your time, i really appreciate it.

shaderTEST2.hipnc

dang thanks for the reply! turns out i am in fact an idiot.. the non-exposed parameters (little plug thingies) on the input channels were connected to the same nodes... so youre saying if i put "$OS_whatevername" it wont keep them connected? or i have to just put in there: "$OS." thank you so much for your help sir.

dang thanks for the reply! turns out i am in fact an idiot.. the non-exposed parameters (little plug thingies) on the input channels were connected to the same nodes... so youre saying if i put "$OS_whatevername" it wont keep them connected? or i have to just put in there: "$OS." thank you so much for your help sir.

Alex, if multiple parameter nodes have the same parameter name they are effectively the same node (for example two parameter nodes with the parameter name set to "P" will both give the same position information). By putting $OS in the parameter name it will use the node name to set the parameter. This is foolproof because Houdini won't let you have two nodes with the same name in the same network. Though it sounds like you just had the same parameter node connected to multiple other nodes when it maybe should have been two or more unique parameters instead.