mohit

I am a new Houdini learner and just found out that Houdini has a New Physical Base Hair Model VOP but unfortunately I don't know how I can implement or apply it for my Fur /Hair.

What sort of steps I need to follow before I can see the final rendered output.Do I require any special lighting/rendering set for rendering this new hair model.

Thanks in advance

Hi mohit,I am not sure if that new hair model has sss implemented yet.

But you can go to the fur tab and select add fur and select the polygons you want in the viewport.

You can play with the controls in the fur asset to change the look

and if you want the control the fur manually,u can go inside the skin network inside the fur asset and comb the normals and plug it in the direction of the fur.

Edited by Hello world

vig littlepython I think you misunderstood my query as I have requested for the procedure of implementing the new fur shader provided by sideeffects in Houdini 12 which is more commonly know as Physical Base Hair Model VOP. i know how to apply fur on a geometry in Houdini but still thank you for describing it again .

Check the attached file.

Under the "/obj/sphere_fur/fur/shopnet1/textured_hair" I replaced the "hair diffuse" and "hair specular" node to a "hair model".

Render time will be improved in PBR mode.

Not all parameters from "hair model" are exposed, make sure to tweak that to get a better result.

Happy Hollydays!

new_hair_model.hip