Best way to learn Houdini

dolexd

Hi,

I am new to Houdini and I am really confused on where and how to start.

Which is the best way to learn Effects, i.e, the particle system and dynamics. VOPPOP DOPS and all that. I keep hearing and seeing these names and I am really confused. Please help me. Any good books or tutorials?

Sid

you could try to check out the help & sidefx website. :) they have hundreds of tutorials on their site and more linked up.

this may be a good start: first steps - intro to houdini. 12 one hour lessons of basics and various contexts of houdini

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=202&Itemid=361

im just starting out too, and i have to say that the sidefx website has a crap load of free, awesome, tutorials. the community here is great too. these people are like teachers that guide you in a way of learning that gives you a little lead and compels you to learn more resourcefully. really awesome. and Peter Quint on vimeo has like 90 billion tutorials for h12.

I also recommand Peter Quint for the beginning, its nice to follow his Tutorials and he knows what he is talking about. SideEffects are also good. If you want to go deeper into the Software you need to find independent Houdini Blogs. There are not many of them... and these guys very often have a coder nature or just fun to play with nodes. I am a biginner aswell, I work with Houdini since 4 months and its the software I have been waiting for all the years vasting my time with Maya, Softimage or 3DSmax. So what I think is very helpfull, download some hipfiles (Houdini Scene Files) here or at Side Effects Forum and try to understand the setups of networks in the file and without any tutorial you see logical connections and functions and you see how Houdini works.

I would love to see more for CHOPS and Rigging, because I love Animation primarily and the great Dynamic Capabilities of Houdini with the beauty of Mantra. Good Luck. And start with Peter Quint and his Glass Tutorial....that should let you smile :)

Peter Quint is a good start: https://sites.google.com/site/pqhoudinitutorial/

I did a course over at vfxlearning.com and had a very good time and great learning curve (but you have to put money, and a lot more effort and time into the coures). IF you are not able to do so, it is not wise to take it.

the cgsociety (cgtalk) also offeres a 8 week course, which might be worth checking out. http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=346

cmivfx also offeres very good houdini tutorials! www.cmivfx.com

last but not least, fxphd offeres some training. www.fxphd.com

hope that helps!

• 5 years later...

Honestly, for me, I learned Houdini just by using it every day. I didn't know what questions to ask until I arrived at a problem. Then I would search for the answer or post here : ) The documentation is amazing. I constantly reference it as I am working.