Material projection

Whithers

Bonjour a tous,

I was fiddle-farting all day trying to figure this out, though I'm sure it's an easy solve for many.

Observe Exhibit A: a render from C4D where I've connected all the objects in the scene and projected a material spherically outward, onto everything. UV's are, obviously, ignored.

Exhibit B well illustrates the trouble I'm having in Houdini.

Would someone kindly prod me in the right direction? Should I use a..... lightsaber? Er, shader. Or is there a way to manipulate the uv's in such a way that this could be the result? Another complicating factor is it has to be animated eventually, but I'm more concerned atm with just replicating what I can do in C4D, as shown.

Thanks a million in advance.

Edit: Note that I don't think I can use (and haven't tried for this reason) camera mapping, as I need a 360 projection (at least 180, like a spotlight, so I can duplicate and rotate it to get what I need, since it doesn't have to be perfect).

post-7710-0-82583700-1358405736_thumb.jp

post-7710-0-38912600-1358405748_thumb.jp

Edited by Whithers

here is simple projection in surface shader

it is based on null object position in the scene so you can easily animate center of the projection (null named move_me)

since it is a shader, there is no need to merge your objects into one, just use the shader on any object you want

if you dive inside it, notice it is using UV project VOP node and you can connect any texture to uv data it creates

uvproject_in_shader.hip

post-3096-0-45658200-1358439212_thumb.jp

Edited by anim

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...