Beer foam

JuriBryan

hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has a some tips on creating realistic beer foam: http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/ehow/images/a07/2i/vn/eliminate-beer-tap-foam-800x800.jpg

The first thing that came to my head was to use a noise function on the emitter for a flip sim to set up different densities, so that the foam will rise when the beer gets poured in.

And then render those particles with the lower density with some sort of beer foam shader.

My question is, has anyone got experience with creating something like that and if so are there any good tips to make the foam look as good as possible?

What rendering method is the best for a effect like this and is there a better way of setting this up entirely?

any little bit of information will help, and thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Juri

I haven't got production experience doing beer foam, but I probably would set it up as a volumetric entity for rendering in any case.

For example, you pour your beer in, figure it out the way to create foam ( as you'd do for normal water foam but this needs to stay; be it calculating curvature on the beer mesh and emitting from that, or just even making particles swim inside the beer and get up on top at the end, probably the different FLIP densities would work fine for that), then I'd setup the foam particles to be meshed and then apply a volumetric material to them. (Or convert everything into a volume and render that with really high volume density).

Only thing that might be a problem on top of my head would be adding noise/displacement to the volume to make it consistent with the animation, as you wouldn't be creating the rest volumes for the displacement or noise to rest (so it would look like it's swimming through the noise/disp).

You can either create the rest volume yourself, or maybe (don't know if this works as I never tried it), you can setup a pyro sim with the beerfoam particles REPLACING the whole density every frame (so the smoke does not develop at all) and you can try and setup the rest positions on the solver and see if that tricks the solver into thinking the density is moving anyway :P

• 3 weeks later...