AlembicArchive very slow update from python code

Hi, guys. I have serious problem with alembic.

1. It is AlembicArchive object node with heavy geometry

2. If I press button "Build or Update Hierarchy" it updates very fast

3. But if I want update in my python code - it is very slow

It behaves equally if I call function, for example:

node=hou.node('/obj/alembicarchive1'); node.hdaModule().BuildHierarchyRoot(node)[/CODE]

or press button in my code:

[CODE]hou.node('/obj/alembicarchive1').parm('buildHierarchy').pressButton()[/CODE]

It updates very slowly.

I think it is problem with hom implementation or _alembic_hom_extension module that AlembicArchive used.

How do you think???

Simple example. This is my asset:

2013_02_27_191714_1600x900_scrot.jpg

If i press butoon Test - it works well. But if I write something like: hou.node('/obj/myasset').parm('Test').pressButton() - it works very slow. Why ?

What I`m doing wrong?

Good question. Offhand, it doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong but I haven't tried to replicate your test. Are you testing with that pressButton() call from the Python Shell window? Maybe it's particular to that. Perhaps try using "opparm -c /obj/myasset Test ( 1 )" in the Hscript Textport to see if it's also as slow.

One other idea is to try turning undo's off in the Hscript Textport by running "undoctrl off" .. (remember to turn it back on! :) ... and see if there's any speed difference.

Good question. Offhand, it doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong but I haven't tried to replicate your test. Are you testing with that pressButton() call from the Python Shell window? Maybe it's particular to that. Perhaps try using "opparm -c /obj/myasset Test ( 1 )" in the Hscript Textport to see if it's also as slow.

One other idea is to try turning undo's off in the Hscript Textport by running "undoctrl off" .. (remember to turn it back on! :) ... and see if there's any speed difference.

Yes. with hscript it works well, but not from python. And its not only from Python shell, but also from scripts. As i understand, any function in hdaModule called outside from asset, works slow. Sometimes i need call python functions of asset from different places - pythonShell \ functions in other sub assets etc. :blink: