Renderman protoinstall/mplay mystery

Hey:

I'm ecstatic that I'm using renderman renderer with houdini. However that IP window is not cool. not cool at all. I read the manual and it says in rather plain english to run protoinstall and choose that prman item from the menu. Only problem is IT'S NOT THERE...what the heck? sigh...

Is there a way to use Pixat "IT" to display rendered test frames and sequences as well? "It" is pretty cool.

This is my info. If I'm doing anything wrong please tell me. I'm so close to my houdini/Rman goals and dumb little things like this are getting in the way.

Houdini 6.1.208

Pixar RAT 5.0

Windows XP pro service Pack 1 P4 2.0 GHz 512 mb DDR RAM

MATROX PARHELIA 128 MB

This is what the Environment variables under System Variables look like

BTW, I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS 'VARIABLE' THING

HOUDINI_RI_SHADERPATH

"C:\Program Files\Pixar\prman-10.0\lib\shaders"

RATDOCTREE

C:\Program Files\Pixar\docs-5.0

RATTREE

C:\Program Files\Pixar\rat-5.0

RMAN_TEXTUREPATH

"C:\Program Files\Pixar\prman-10.0\lib\textures"

RMANTREE

C:\Program Files\Pixar\prman-10.0

Path

C:\Program Files\AliasWavefront\Maya5.0\bin;C:\Program Files\Shake-v2.51.1116;C:\Program Files\Shake-v2.50.0810;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\MPEG;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;C:\Digital Domain NUKE v3.2.63\setup\d2software.nuke3.0\nuke\usr\dd\lib;C:\Program Files\backburner 2\;PATH = %RATTREE%\bin;%RMANTREE%\bin;C:\Program Files\Pixar\prman-10.0

THANX A MILLION IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!

Luis G

www.ectonaut.com

I read the manual and it says in rather plain english to run protoinstall and choose that prman item from the menu. Only problem is IT'S NOT THERE...what the heck? sigh...

I remember reading somewhere (long time ago) about some item in protoinstall that is only available on (I'm not shure here)Irix or Solaris. One of these two. But not on Windows!

So, it might be the thing.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just change the image device to "it" "it_merge" or "it_replace" depending on your needs.

As for the protoinstall - the houdini prman display driver isn't there for version 6.1.208 because (as far as I know) there is no need for it. The features requiring the display of renderman shaders in the viewport were not implemented until 6.5.XX - and for that version or greater the RManDisplay.inst is available in the proto_install (on windows)

MUTTOAB