Expression in Point Cloud Open?

yjcnbnbnb200

I followed tutorials to make wet map shader, my problem is, the step in tutorial is that export the points first (show in picture a), then read back in shop (show in picture B), use the point cloud open node, but it is very inconvinence because I can only saw the render image after save all the points in disk, I want to use the 'op:/obj/.../.../null1' to read the points in real time. But I cann't, I think it must be somthing wrong with my string written, who knows how to write the expression to read back the points from my null1 sop to chop point cloud open.

post-9044-0-42149300-1363152627_thumb.jp

post-9044-0-94837000-1363152632_thumb.jp

20130312.hip

I don't think you can reference an operator to use a pointcloud in shops, I'm pretty sure you have to read from disk. To previs your wetmap shader you could replicate some of it in a vopsop (vopsops do support referencing a pointcloud from an operator).

I don't think you can reference an operator to use a pointcloud in shops, I'm pretty sure you have to read from disk. To previs your wetmap shader you could replicate some of it in a vopsop (vopsops do support referencing a pointcloud from an operator).

Ok, I understand, thank you very much~

• 3 months later...

I stuck on the same problem,

It must be a solution to avoid caching point and directly pick up information from one network to one other.

Anyone know the right syntaxe ?

Edited by Tylius

op:/obj/geo1/sop_with_points_to_reference

where the path has to be an absolute path and not a relative path to the SOP.

This will only work for those VOP/VEX operators that are in the Houdini Session: SOPs, COPs, POPs, CHOPs.

This will NOT work on a Material read in by Mantra. Mantra has no idea what SOP is in the Houdini scene file. Mantra reads an ifd file that is generated from the Houdini scene file. You need to save the point clouds to disk in order to read it in to your shader.

• Like 1

op:/obj/geo1/sop_with_points_to_reference

where the path has to be an absolute path and not a relative path to the SOP.

This will only work for those VOP/VEX operators that are in the Houdini Session: SOPs, COPs, POPs, CHOPs.

This will NOT work on a Material read in by Mantra. Mantra has no idea what SOP is in the Houdini scene file. Mantra reads an ifd file that is generated from the Houdini scene file. You need to save the point clouds to disk in order to read it in to your shader.

Ok I will have a try! Thanks!

• 7 years later...

I am actually having a similar issue pathing my point sop (18.5 version) into the point cloud texture. the input I am using is the following --- op:'opfullpath("../../point1")' --- which is the one being used in my tutorial but it doesn't link up correctly therefore preventing me from getting my final result? 

Is there any method round this now or is it a similar method to the responses above?