shattering glass pane

kleer001

How would you go about creating a dynamically fracturing grid (2x2x0.2 let's say) hit by a ball where the edges are locked into place but the shards that aren't touching the edges are free to fall?

It seems to me that the MakeBreakable shelf tool is great for any objects that are free falling, but fails in this instance.

I've followed Peter Quint's group dynamic objects and deactivation technique using prebroken voronoi style, but I'm not crazy about the look.

Edited by kleer001

voronoi pre-fracture, and bullet glue constraint networks along with active/non active object groups.

what don't you like about the look? It's far more of an art directable setup

Most likely you just need to research getting a more non-regular voronoi fracture ;)

Oh, I can voronoi me eyeballs out, and I know the makeBreakable uses them, but the technique I have to use is less procedural. I'm happy to sim the same few frames over and over again with slightly different numbers until I get something that looks nice.

At the end of the day I find full proceduralism more aesthectically pleasing.

Edited by kleer001

Oh, I can voronoi me eyeballs out, and I know the makeBreakable uses them, but the technique I have to use is less procedural. I'm happy to sim the same few frames over and over again with slightly different numbers until I get something that looks nice.

At the end of the day I find full proceduralism more aesthectically pleasing.

You can get great results with the Voronoi points node merged with the prefractured voronoi's 2nd input, nFrames method is pretty procedural compared to any maya shatter workflow IMO.

• Like 1