$CEX, $CEY, $CEZ no longer working properly?

We also reported this and sesis answer was that it doesn't work because of some internal evaluation inconsistency, so they're removing it (!), and we should use the centroid() function instead.

While our first reaction was righteous outrage (kidding :-D) we realized we always had evaluation problems with these variables, especially when used in digital assets. so we switched to centroid() since then.

A hint: $GCX Y Z variables still work, so use that when not in the mood for much typing. Just don't tell the sesi guys :-D

This was reported to SESI some time ago during 12.5 beta, though I can't recall the bug id. Sadly it has not been fixed yet.

That particular bug was fixed in H12.5.341. If handles are still not behaving properly, please submit new bugs with reproducible steps.

Channel references to parameters containing local variables will not work by design as previously discussed.

• Like 1

That particular bug was fixed in H12.5.341. If handles are still not behaving properly, please submit new bugs with reproducible steps.

Channel references to parameters containing local variables will not work by design as previously discussed.

Edward, is this also valid for expressions using local variables? I never thought about this but will be more conscious from now on if so.

Thanks alot Edward. Btw sometimes when writing expressions inside parameter fields, when you toggle the value mode, you don't see the value of the expression's result but 0. Is this also related? I remember reading somewhere that Houdini will not show the value of expressions in value mode anymore. But not sure if this is true or I am dreaming :)

I was relying on this alot though because it's not easy to see the value of the expressions easily in any other way.

Edited by magneto

I think you need to the distinction between expressions *using* local variables, and expressions that do *NOT* use local variables. Expressions that do *NOT* use local variables will always be evaluated the same regardless of whether it is evaluated within a cook or not.

• Like 1