anybody using Dual monitors?

meshsmooth

I just got my hands on a 21 inch monitor for $50. A new video card is on the cards.

So anybody using Dual monitors?

What is your setup?

How is it?

Etc...

As far as card recommendations I am looking at the mid to upper gforce fx price range

I think I injured my self carrying it :lol:

i do.

WinXP pro, 3,06GHz with HT, Wildcat VP 880pro, 1GB RAM, 2 ScenicP4 19" Monitors.

It's wonderful. I had to activate OpenGL on both screens in order to work in Houdini FullSize.

I'm very happy with the wildcat. haven't tested it extensively yet, as my system is pretty new, but a couple first hardware renders were amazingly fast.

Before that i used a Geforce 2MX so there must be a difference :P

• 1 year later...

job:

p4 3.06

2gb ram

quadro 4000 256mb

houdini 8.383

syncmaster 957p 2X 1280x1024

win XP

home:

p4 2.8

2gb ram

quadro 1100 128mb

houdini 8.383

syncmaster 1100df 2X 1600x1200

win XP

both configs couldnt work better on winxp, but i used to have bug that whenever 3d window was streched over two third of screen framerate fell to 0.01 fps (also present in maya, max,xsi,rhino)

both configs couldnt work better on winxp, but i used to have bug that whenever 3d window was streched over two third of screen framerate fell to 0.01 fps (also present in maya, max,xsi,rhino)

Sounds like your double-buffered viewer took up enough video RAM to cause serious video to main mem thrashing, especially on the 128Mb card. Having dual monitors takes up twice the framebuffer memory as a single monitor, with the same per-monitor resolution. This means that the card has less space available for textures, models, shaders and the like, and in the worst case, they must be fetched for each frame because they keep bumping each other out of video RAM. The result? 0.01 fps.

So, make sure you have enough mem on the card that's driving the monitors (at least 256Mb for dual 1280 or dual 1600), since you want extra memory left over for your models :)

• 5 weeks later...