L - system + Fur

valerio tarricone

Hello guys!

I'm a student in MA Digital Effect at Bournemouth University, for my master project I'm creating an effect where a body is completely coverd by veins and roots and these veins start to shrink back until the body is completely free.

I'm making the effect using an L system with a RAY SOP, I want to use also a fur simulation on the geometry of the L system, but seems that the fur get crazy and start to move in different frames even if the geometry is completely stable, Do you have any idea why I'm having this problem??

Thanks! ;)

Edited by valerio tarricone

Hi there,

your hip seems to be quite heavy, have you tried to isolate problem?

from first glance, i'd say that changing topology of l-systems will defenately be at least a part of problem in this setup

and you'r rest is in a wrong place, i'd put it before the ray sop

Edited by Owl

You could have the branches inherit UVs from the arm and base the fur on that.

You could try an actual vein system:

Then, my actual recommendation: You could draw the lines on by hand and then animate their extrusions, widths, and or masks to control the fur.

Your arm model looks unnecessarily heavy. Are you familiar with the Remesh SOP? It's great!

I have "fixed" the problem using the skeleton of the l system, converting in polygon, using a copy sop with a new geomtry (sphere) and from the new system removing the normal and applying again with a point sop now in a new direction, in the end using this new system as guides for the fur, even if the skin geometry is still the original L system, now in the end is not really perfect 100% but seems to work! ;)