Houdini Quickstart lesson One: Need Help Please

Hello. I'm working my way down the page of tutorials and have hit a snag.

I've created my column obj, instanced it to the RBD Point object and created the ground plane. Running a sim at this point everything works- the wreaking ball knocks down the pins no trouble.

AFTER I apply the "Make Breakable" to the columns and run the sim, the columns begin a controlled demolition on themselves- the bases crumble and the columns shatter before the wrecking ball hits.

I cant figure out what I'm doing wrong here- I've tried this three times now with the same results. Ive checked normals on the column obj and they are fine, and all the params seem to be correct, but I cant think of anything else to look for, and I've searched this forum to see if it's come up before but nada.

any help is appreciated

thanks

Tony

Houdini Apprentice HD 12.5.427

OS X 10.7.5

MacPro 64gb Ram quadro4800

post-10079-0-86104800-1374268308_thumb.j

BADcolumns.2.hipnc

Edited by fxvet

Thank you Paulo- I tried changing the solver to RBD, but now the sim is not evaluating at all. To change the solver, I double clicked on the "AutoDopNetwork" and then selected the 'rigidbodysolver1' node and the changed the pulldown to 'RBD'. Is that correct?

Is there anything I need to do to make the sim active again?

I should have mentioned before:

Houdini Apprentice HD 12.5.427

OS X 10.7.5

MacPro 64gb Ram quadro4800

Thank you Paulo- I tried changing the solver to RBD, but now the sim is not evaluating at all. To change the solver, I double clicked on the "AutoDopNetwork" and then selected the 'rigidbodysolver1' node and the changed the pulldown to 'RBD'. Is that correct?

Is there anything I need to do to make the sim active again?

Thats correct. I just fired up your hip and did just that, and it all worked right away. Did you by accident click the brain-icon down in the right corner? Or set the pulldown menu to the right of it to manual?

Or did you accidentally visualize the Rigid Body Solver-dop when you were changing it? That can easily happen. If you visualize the last dop in the network there again, it should probably start to work.

In case anyone else comes across this, here is how I got this to work:

Yes, you must have your solver set to "RBD"- however, if you try to switch to "RBD" After you "make breakable" you are screwed- it just breaks the sim and nothing happens. So, after you convert the column and the sphere to "RBD Objects" immediately double-click on 'AutoDopNetwork', select rigidbodysolver, and change Solver type to "RBD"

Then you can continue the lesson, select the column group and click "Make Breakable".

Thanks everyone for your help. So far Houdini is pretty awesome.

Edited by fxvet