technic for Fur on RBD project

FR3D

EDIT:1) i added the shock propagation system for anyone who is interested (no dynamics)

2) new grass renders

3) WIP here:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/18254-power-shot/

hello.

I am starting a project which will force me to go beyond what i am used to do.

The concept is about a soccer player that shoot in the soccer ball with so much power that the ground rips apart.

i am pretty ok with creating choreographed destruction,force field, particle animation, smoke simulation, and filming the players.

u can see the basic concept of the shock propagation(done with pops and copy node), after that the ball will rip the floor in a straight line, i already did successful test with custom force field.

you also can see a first "meaningless" render, that represent the minimum accepted fur density.

Now my worry is about the grass:

i have manage during rnd to get the grass stick without anything weird happening on the RBD fracture object with houdini fur.But this was a small scale test, now that i am creating real scale scene everything is going to get heavy.

i do not want to have dynamic on the grass, as all shots will be slow motion

https://vimeo.com/71984860

i did create my own grass in sop using copy node and line deformed, the final look was actually good with 1000000 hair.

1000000 hair took 3 minute per frame to create the geomety.

Does anyone has any tips of how to approach the grass issue as it will take lots of time to generate at every frame?

Should i try to use my own system as i can bake the bgeo ,while it takes time to bake, it is extremely fast at render time.

Any other tips concerning the approach of large scale simulation is welcome to.

Or famous trick when having to pave wide area with fur

Thanks

shock_propagation.hipnc

post-7936-0-76187300-1375988344_thumb.jp

post-7936-0-68482800-1375988347_thumb.jp

post-7936-0-70070800-1375988350_thumb.jp

Edited by FR3D

thanks , i realized that fur was a better option, especially that i might need to tweak the explosion at any point.

It would be a big loss of time while working.

here is a new render, getting closer to what i want

i am manually directing the explosion using transferred normal into point velocity, using unidirectional point clouds normals placed at specific place on the RBD fractures.(exemple file bellow)

It isn't very practical but at least i can really choreograph the explosion.

Also the cracking shape is done in illustrator, which once imported create the whole the rbd fracture and whole in the ground, thanks to procedural workflow.

post-7936-0-64543100-1376499117_thumb.jp

manual_normal_orientation_738.hipnc

post-7936-0-64227400-1376549278_thumb.jp

Edited by FR3D

It is looking nice! I would also add some high viscosity flip in there to mix up with the solid pieces. It would feel more alive and less solid :)

you meen adding flip on the chunks to give it a muddy look?that is a good idea.

I am aslo adding pyro, now if i add fluid i think i would have incorporated everything in that project :D

i will if i have time, as right now i am going thru hell to retime pyro

i manage to transfer the field to the volume mix, but the timeshift and timewrap actually kill those fields, i didnt find a work around yet.

So i am resimulating at 100FPS which is a pain

follow WIP here:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/18254-power-shot/

Edited by FR3D