How to use an animated geometry for fracturing?

Hi,

I am pre-fracturing a geometry using the voronoi fracture, and then using lattice to bring my animated changes to the fractured pieces. I assume this is not the best way but I just wanted to see how it would work.

When I created an RBD Fracture Object and then turned on Use Deforming Geometry, the animation seems to come through but then they act as if they bring in point velocity. I don't have any as v. I added an RBD State DOP after my object to set the velocity to 0 (Set Always) but still it didn't change anything.

What the proper workflow to do this? Ultimately what I want to do is to be able to use an animated geometry while it's being influenced by forces such as gravity so it would fall down for instance and then break into pieces. Not sure if pre-fracturing is better in this case or if I should use dynamic fracture?

Thanks yongbin, that's very useful :)

If you were to do a much complex deformation where the fractured parts come apart while deforming which you don't want, how would you solve that? Basically imagine a grid like this that twists back and forth as time goes:

mPHlax4.png

And it's blown away by wind and dragged down slowly by gravity, and crashes into the ground and fractures. In this case, should I be using dynamic fracture?

When I do it using a similar workflow like yours, then the voronoi pieces stick out a lot because they get bend too much I think.

Thanks again :)

Thanks I just got a chance to try the dynamic fracture and it works, which uses the Voronoi Fracture Configure Object in addition to RBD Fractured Object.

Not sure if there is a way to do any kind of deformation in addition having your own pre-fracture? I thought I could switch geometries at the time of impact, but not only this requires you to query when an impact occurs, it also reveals the whole pre-fractured at once. That latter might be a different problem on its own though.

Any advice from demolition experts is appreciated :)

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem before.

yon can find the answer in this thread.

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/17803-is-it-possible-to-activate-rdb-use-deforming-geometry-separately-for-each-obj/

if you still don't know how to do it, I'll post a sample file.

Hi, eiji.

I was confuse by this effect for a long time.

Although i have get something helpful and make a simple test, but i will be gratitude if you can post a simple file.

Thank you!