using Ocean Evaliation displacement map with a Flip mesh

XRM

Hi,

I've a mesh of an object falling into water and another mesh which is bigger in size and is an ocean created using Ocean spectrum and evaluate nodes. I rendered out the displacement map out of it. I piped it into the displacement texture map option of the mantrasurface shader which I am using to render out the flip mesh. I matched the uv of both with perfect ratios. Still I'm seeing little bit of offset in the map. Anyone knows what the problem is ?

I'm curious how this works, using a displacement map for FLIP instead of deforming the surface. Can you limit the height where it gets displaced? For instance I wouldn't want the splashes to be displaced by the ocean at all, can you do that what a displacement map?

@Hudson @ Skybar. Yes you can use a custom attribute and connect it to the displacement amount. But that will not workout well. I tried it.

Lemme describe my full workflow

1. Made my ocean using the ocean tools namely ocean spectrum and evaluate and a grdi which defines my ocean surface.

2. I created my FLIP tank. Added my collision meshe(ship) to the sim. Cached the sim.

3. Cached out the mesh. I recommend using the new VDB tools.

4. In the ocean evaluate node, there is a tab to export texture. Remember to apply UV to the grid and turn on uv attribute under geometry tab in ocean evaluate. Render the texture out.

5. Use this rendered texture with the ocean shader displacement and apply it to the flip mesh. Scatter some points on the cached mesh(color value [0,0,0]) and on the object which is colliding(color value [1,0,0]. Then used an attribute transfer and delete just to get some particles on the surrounding part of the mesh where the displacement value of the displace map is not needed. Cached it out as point cloud.

6 Used this point cloud data inside the ocean shader of the flip mesh to get a nice smooth ramp which can be multiplied with the displacement texture maps values.

7. rendered it out

It blends properly in comp.

Cheers :)

Edited by XRM

• 1 month later...

Hi, I was looking to do exactly that but as I am new also I am loosing you at the point where you are about to render out the point cloud.

How do you do that?

And then how exactly are you using it inside the shader?

Is it possible to provide me with a hip file going over the method?

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was looking to do exactly that but as I am new also I am loosing you at the point where you are about to render out the point cloud.

How do you do that?

And then how exactly are you using it inside the shader?

Is it possible to provide me with a hip file going over the method?

thank you

Hi mate,

I am afraid I cannot upload my hip file but I will try to make a small file or tutorial to demonstrate how to use point cloud inside Shader.

Cheers!  :)

Hi Harima,

Here is the attached file to show how I am using point clouds inside shader. If the point count is low, we can offcourse use the "op:" command but for flip sims, it can get really huge. So I think it is better to save the thing as point cloud.

Cheers!!!

PS...My bad. I am still new at this forum. Now the file is attached.

PointCloud inside shader.hip

Edited by XRM
  • Like 1

Hi Ranadeep,

I noticed you had posted a file with an example of using the point cloud in the shader, but it looks like you have edited your post. Anyway I could get that as well?

Thanks

Sorry mate, I am quite new to this form. So did a mistake while uploading.

• 2 weeks later...