Animated geo splashing in Wave Layer Tank

kleer001

Not just the Wave Layer tank, but I've tried all the Ocean FX shelf tool setups and can't seem to do the gosh darned easiest thing in the world, to make an animated object splash. Wtf?

I animated the box in SOPs, then collided using the "Collide With Objects" for flip fluids contained sims. And it made the requisite collision volume. I even plugged the geo into the wavetank_initial's pre-made collisions. But nada, zip, zero, zilch. No splash. :(

Please see attached hip file and point out my dumbness.

tankTest_01.hip

Not just the Wave Layer tank, but I've tried all the Ocean FX shelf tool setups and can't seem to do the gosh darned easiest thing in the world, to make an animated object splash. Wtf?

I animated the box in SOPs, then collided using the "Collide With Objects" for flip fluids contained sims. And it made the requisite collision volume. I even plugged the geo into the wavetank_initial's pre-made collisions. But nada, zip, zero, zilch. No splash. :(

Please see attached hip file and point out my dumbness.

The problem in your scene is that source volume sop is sampling velocity attributes from points to put in the collisionvel field.

Since you got a big box with only points in the corners and you are only sampling from points in a radius of 0.2 units. There is no velocity to put into the collision velocity field.

Put more divisions on your box or scatter points to sample velocity from.

In the fluid source sop -> velocity volumes -> stamp ponts. Increase the sampling distance and the visualization on that node to se you got velocity around the cage.

I would also move the scaling of the box into SOPs level (just after your transforms),

Edit.

If you want to use a static object instead.

Put the animation on OBJ level so you dont have to use the deforming switch. That will recalculate the collision volume each step.

Edited by mawi

Hi

Can you elaborate in the difference between velocity type : Rigid and Volume? 

I am doing some tests myselfs with a Static box animated falling on a flat tank and the splash looks the same

From the help...

Rigid Velocity

The collision velocity of the objects is calculated by treating it as a rigid body. Only the angular velocity and linear velocity will be used, no local deformation will be taken into account.

Point Velocity

The collision velocity of the objects tries to take into account deformation by using point history. This only works if the topology doesn’t change.

Volume Velocity

Uses the SDF representation of the object to detect deformation. Does not require a fixed topology over time, but cannot detect tangential velocities.

Edited by mawi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...