make fluid vibrate? As if from a sound wave.

sim

Hi,

I have a flip fluid coming from an emitter, pouring over a head. In the animation I'm doing, the audio has this occasional loud gong. I'm trying to make the water vibrate with that gong noise.

The look I'm going for is:

A lot like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPW3gihYnZE

A bit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15ILr2R1K0

The quality I'm after is the way the water blus and shimmers with the noise. But I also like the way the water takes a 'holding' shape. Ideally the water falling over the head will shimmer and blur and also almost momentarily 'pause' for a split second.

I've tried a few different forces in the FLIP fluid DOP network, nestled between the gravity and the drag. For example an impulse force with a noise field attached to it. With this setup I've tried all sorts of different force and frequency amounts. Though everything is way too 'coarse' to get that shimmering effect.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try next. (I'm just beggining to get my head around FLIP fluids)

If worse comes to worst, I might just ramp up the fluid's motion blur in time with the gongs and that might work quite well. -But I would like to get some of that momentary 'pausing' effect.

'regards,

Sim.

• Like 1

Thanks,

I'll try that suggestion with the Time Shift SOP. 

Yeah, I was thinking about it some more and realised that I'm asking the sim to try and do something very difficult, or rather very unreasonable.  24fps equates to 24Hz. and to get it to make a particle vibrate at, what, 400-800Hz minimum -  I'd have to amp my substeps up to 16-33!

Sim.

Rather than using the gong sound, whcih is amongst other music, I found it easist to just hand animate the displacement value on the mesh of the fluid. Not too many gongs. Tomorrow I'll check out my render and see how it looks moving.

• 2 weeks later...