Softimage to Houdini transition guide

jordibares

After Autodesk decision to discontinue Softimage, to me still the best general purpose 3D package I felt it was the perfect moment to help those in the Softimage community that are interested in Houdini or want to know more in a friendly way.

So I embarked myself into this challenge to create small guides with my limited knowledge of Houdini but comparing it with Softimage which I think is very interesting when coming from there.

Anyway, I have been posting them in the SideEffect forum, hope you don't mind the link to them.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=31012&start=75

But also, if you want just to have a look at the PDFs… ENJOY

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y0ti6tyf7o3435u/thsQH1Kf2o 

• Like 4

This is what is needed for those making the change. Have you spoken to SESI about featuring these on their site. They have been vocal about accommodating migrating users, highlighting these guides will not only enforce that but also put the message out there about the community. 

Former SI users need not feel like they have to start from scratch. 

Great work.

Thanks for doing these Jordi. You can absolutely post them here :).

The wiki might be a good permanent home for them too though? I'm just trying to think of a place where they won't necessarily get lost in the shuffle.

M

Thanks I will keep going as much as I can and wrap each block onto a bigger chapter, once consolidated I will put it everywhere I can.

I am not into Wiki stuff, it just takes much longer and graphically is a pain… I do all this in my mac with Keynote and its a breeze… may be once I finish I will put it all into a book format.

Thanks for doing these Jordi. You can absolutely post them here :).

The wiki might be a good permanent home for them too though? I'm just trying to think of a place where they won't necessarily get lost in the shuffle.

M

Ha. oh yes, I wasn't advocating reformatting them into wikiland (I tend to agree BTW), merely thinking it might be a place to host the pdfs? But either way, if we can help store them somehow for ease of access then let me know.

Cheers

M