How to get rid of jagginess in render time displacements?

Hi,

I notice the displaced geometry has jagginess. I am just using basic displacement in a shader but is there a setting that controls the resolution Mantra uses to displace geometry? I tried the Polygons as Subdivisions options on the geometry but they don't seem to stack together.

Also for some strange reason, 10x10 divisions grid renders faster than 2x2 grid, so not sure what exactly is happening or how to solve this.

I am basically looking very smooth NURBS like detail if possible. Here is the render:

iOThvLd.png

Thanks Eetu for the super fast reply, I just tried them and the rendering turned out silky smooth :)

Although I noticed the memory usage of Mantra seems to increase exponentially with Shading Quality. Mantra got 4GB for a grid when Shading Quality was 2. At 3, it ran out of memory so not sure how much more it would require.

Which made me wonder if there is a CVEX Volume Procedural like displacement in Mantra where it doesn't allocate all memory at once but adaptively and still render at "infinite" resolution?

Yeah, with shading quality at the default 1.0, mantra dices the geometry at an approximate rate of one micropolygon per output pixel. With 2.0, it creates 4 micropolygons per pixel and so on - so you can guess where that exponential behaviour is coming from :)

You could try playing with the other dicing options, z-importance, flatness and so on, to keep the amount of created micropolys in check.

• Like 1