[Build Ready] Houdini Built Machine

paxsonsa

Hey Guys,

I posted a build last week on reddit and got a lot of great responses. So I reworked the parts lists and now would like further advice and feedback from some houdini users!

Bottomline Goals: -Stability and Power -Built for Effects simulation and rendering -3D Rendering - Below 5 Grand

Thoughts: - I am prob going to move my mother board down to a Gigabyte UP4 - I want to go with a high end GPU but not a Quadro (There Price Performance still seems off to me) but you guys may have experience with better cards too!

My biggest concern is GPU be far the only thing holding me back. I have read the system requirments for h13 and looked through the OdForce Wiki but I wanted to get more opinions on the GPU and see what everyone else is using.  

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3y87E

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($636.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Memory Express) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($6.20 @ DirectCanada) 
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($519.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($447.48 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($175.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB Superclocked Video Card  ($1169.99 @ Memory Express) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($152.91 @ DirectCanada) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Memory Express) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  ($149.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($549.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($549.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($34.99 @ Memory Express) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($22.99 @ Memory Express) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($22.99 @ Memory Express) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($129.99 @ Memory Express) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($64.99 @ NCIX) 
Total: $4866.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-25 04:24 EDT-0400)
Edited by paxsonsa

Unless there's something you particularly need on that motherboard that doesn't exist on the cheaper ASUS boards, I'd go for a cheaper one, and use the savings to bump your memory up to 64GB or increase the power supply to 750W. Also, why so many fans? The case included comes with 2 front & 1 rear fan, so at most you might need 1 more (I'd recommend 140mm over 120).

Otherwise, looks good. The Titan isn't certified for workstation use by Nvidia, but it should work with Houdini okay (and in the next Houdini version, is officially supported)

Caviar Black in my experience is a loud ticking time bomb, WD Red haven't failed yet and is way cooler (heat wise)

That's true, the 5400rpm drives are cooler. If you're going with 2 drives in RAID0/1, go for the Red's, otherwise, use the Green's. They are the same basic drive, but the Reds are designed for RAID (less likely to drop out of the array).

You do pay a bit of a latency penalty for the slower RPM drives, but it may not be as noticeable in RAID.

• 2 weeks later...

Those 7200rpm drives are goign to be your bottleneck. samsung 840's are very fast ssd's and comparable to the IO ops of a fusion io pcie ssd. I would take advantage of those if you're willing to switch to a full ssd raid. If you just need more storage per dollar, you might want to take a look at the western digital enterprise drives, they are very very reliable! I have 5 wd enterprise drives 4tb each in a raid on a server that has not been shutdown since 6 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

but for 5k you can get dual socket board with e5 XEONS and so you are not 32gb ram limited. 32GB ram is going to be a limiting factor for big simulations. With a slow cpu you can still simulate but without enough ram your machine will simply halt