vops_listener?

3__

Be nice if you could click on the shader-ball and the closest point of the surface could be highlighted - and this point's values would appear in the MMB menus thoughout the tree.

I'm pretty sure that this would be tricky to implement considering that the tree is not cooked node-by-node at run-time as with SOPs, etc. Code is generated from the entire tree, then it's compiled and then fed into the VEX interpreter. When MMB is depressed, I guess the single point would need to be rendered and some pretty specialized code would be needed to generated to cause the interpreter to spit out ALL the variables in the right places, ready to be caught by Houdini and displayed.

That being said, I've also wanted a feature like this often - it could be really useful. I can imagine dragging the "selected point" handle around the surface and analysing the result on the fly. In the "Extended Info.." it'd be nice to see the generated code snippet, maybe with the variables substituted, etc... but I'm dreaming here...

B)