Duplicating Digital Asset with parameters variation...

Christian S

Hi,

Here is my current situation.

1) I built a DA that will create Book stack. Either to the right, left of up.

2) I also built a Shelf DA that create custom book shelves with different heights, size, etc.

What I'd like to do now is populate the Shelf DA with the Books DA. What would be the best way to achieve this considering each Books DA need to have it's geometry changed with a parameters like random seed, length and size being different?

Instancing doesn't allow geometry change, or does it? I can make instancing work but using 3 different Books DA node, as seen in the Shelf DA image. But all left books are the same... same goes with up and right books.

Thx.

C

post-11497-0-85570200-1398865229_thumb.j

post-11497-0-92925600-1398865595_thumb.j

First, thank you for your answer.

So if you made a super procedural tree generator Digital Asset and you could control the total randomness of this tree DA with just one simple random seed parameter.

How would you go about to fill a terrain scattered with points with the tree DA and having each tree on the terrain being different by putting the scattered point number as the tree random seed?

Now sure if I make myself clear... It there any ways to do this?

C

even though for this case it may be more convenient to create your asset as SOP level assets

to be able to use Copy SOP/copy stamping you don't need to have your asset as SOP level asset

it can be object level character rig, tree or whatever

you still can object merge it into sops and stamp parameters on the original asset to create variations per copy

if your asset uses packed primitives as a building blocks, it can be as well reasonably light even with many thousands of copies, since I can imagine that parameters don't need to deform the books or shelf

• 4 years later...
On 01/05/2014 at 10:31 PM, anim said:

even though for this case it may be more convenient to create your asset as SOP level assets

to be able to use Copy SOP/copy stamping you don't need to have your asset as SOP level asset

it can be object level character rig, tree or whatever

you still can object merge it into sops and stamp parameters on the original asset to create variations per copy

if your asset uses packed primitives as a building blocks, it can be as well reasonably light even with many thousands of copies, since I can imagine that parameters don't need to deform the books or shelf

Can you explain what you / he / meant back then ?

I'm trying to make variations of a digital asset but the parameters are not at the correct level. For example, a text parameter for a digital asset is found at the Scene level, but once it's merged into a object merge and copied, I can't find a way to access that parameter to make the variations.

18 hours ago, anim said:

just use stamp expression on your asset at Scene level and refer to the copy that you want to use to evaluate the value per copy

simple example

copystamp_scene_level.hip

Thanks.  I think I've read stamping is going to be deprecated, but this could be a solution for now.

However, when I add a dopnet in the geo network that references something being stamped, it's no longer working, I have the default stamp value I believe, once it enters the dopnet

Is duplicating dopnets a good idea anyway  ? I could certainly replicate the geometry before the dopnet and use it as a whole, but it made more sense for what I had in mind to have independant dopnet, one in each instance

In this example, I expected each instance to be move along y axis also, but this is missing. The static part (the font object) works as expected. Why is it so ?

minimaldopcopies.hipnc

Edited by AntoineSfx