smoke instancing

whodini

Hey guys, I'm able to get instancing to work with an animated source after I studied a hip file posted on this forum on the topic. However I cant seem to get instancing to work on source that isn't animated.

Here's what I want to do. I have a source that is not moving and it's constantly pumping smoke in to the scene. I want to have multiple containers (via instancing) that have about 20% overlap and have them automatically resize when density inside them. 

I've attacheda hip file, and you will see the smoke only gets to about 2 container instances and cuts away the density as if those two clusters were the only ones its in.

cluster_test.hip

you will see the smoke only gets to about 2 container instances and cuts away the density as if those two clusters were the only ones its in.

And that is true. Your source is only inside the first 2 containers and emits smoke inside those. There is no emitting at all in the other containers. What you want is for the smoke to be able to pass from one container to another, and that is quite another setup. Take a look at the "CombinedSmoke" example file which does this.

yea.. unfortunately this wont work for what I'm doing. Clustering / Instancing is better suited for contrails, or streams of solid smoke from a missle or something along those lines. I'm working on a sim that has one source that is static and constantly pumping smoke and vel into the grid.