PBR Skin Shader

danylyon

I wrote a skin shader recently and just released it on orbolt: http://www.orbolt.com/asset/_danylyon::PBR_skin

(There's also a demo video)

It's written in VEX, check out the help card with lot's of informations.

The features are:

• Direct (single) SSS, optimized for skin.

• SSS from indirect sources for extra realism.

• optimized values for white skin and red blood, possible to change to black, green.. any color.

• Adjust absorption and depth of the SSS.

• Color correction of the skin maps.

• Add Skin, dermis and deep maps.

• Map to mask back scattering.

• Oily specular layer.

• Fine sparkle effect from microgeometry.

• Sheen, fuzzy layer.

• Displacement (b/w, vector space and tangent space).

• Shadow shader for colored shadow rims.

• Extra output variables: SSS, dermisSSS, deepSSS, backSSS.

• Output of Z (depth), uv, normal, position and velocity.

• Support for UDIMs. 

Attached are some WIP.

post-8977-0-97533800-1399445288_thumb.jp

post-8977-0-06851600-1399445297_thumb.jp

post-8977-0-25855000-1399445318_thumb.jp

post-8977-0-44728200-1399445331_thumb.jp

• Like 9

The shader looks terrific, and the I´m also grateful for the layered material which I use actively.

I just don´t understand why authors keep on asking money for apprentice versions. In my opinion that´s the HUGE down side of Orbolt and why some of us don´t like it.

I understand it is a prerogative of any asset author to ask money for it, by I´ve experienced MANY years of Houdini community where these kind of assets were free. Just saying...

Guest tar

I just don´t understand why authors keep on asking money for apprentice versions. 

Never understood why people can't 'afford' to pay small amounts for work done by others.   

Never understood why people can't 'afford' to pay small amounts for work done by others.   

probably because you can afford it

I just don´t understand why authors keep on asking money for apprentice versions. 

because orbolot is a platform for people who wants to be payed.

shader looks nice tough.

Guest tar

probably because you can afford it

Anyone who cares to afford it can...

$18 with a credit card @ 20% will cost ~$4 in interest per year/rolled monthly - this Skin Shader can be amortised for $1.82 per month for a whopping total of ~$22 over a year.  

You can find that at the local wishing well or footpath ;)

The shader looks terrific, and the I´m also grateful for the layered material which I use actively.

I just don´t understand why authors keep on asking money for apprentice versions. In my opinion that´s the HUGE down side of Orbolt and why some of us don´t like it.

I understand it is a prerogative of any asset author to ask money for it, by I´ve experienced MANY years of Houdini community where these kind of assets were free. Just saying...

Thanks. Glad to hear you like my other shader.

Well I figured, the skin shader is much more of a niche shader, only few people ever render skin in houdini. And those who do are passionate about it (meaning they use it often). Apprentice or Not.

I want to support those people, keep updating, have a working shader for new houdini versions. Which takes quite a bit of time and often authors of free assets can't be bothered to do that.

The shader is really flexible and im sure over time will be used more and more.

Here is a couple of renders i did while Dany was developing it. The help also is very informative and not neglected in any way.

danyBittelSSS_closeup01.jpg

Full Rez

danyBittelSSS_03.jpg

Full Rez

Edited by abvfx
  • Like 5

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

this shader looks really great. I saw on orbolt that it's compatible with Houdini 12.5 to 13. Does it also work in 14?

And if I purchase the shader, will I be able to dive in and look at all the nodes in detail etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Edited by pax

Hi, 

this shader looks really great. I saw on orbolt that it's compatible with Houdini 12.5 to 13. Does it also work in 14?

And if I purchase the shader, will I be able to dive in and look at all the nodes in detail etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Hey Pax, I have purchased this shader and it works great.  I have tested in Houdini 14 and it seems to work well.   As far as diving in to see how it is made, this shader and his regular PBR shader are entirely written in VEX not using the traditional vop network.  The great thing with it being VEX is that it is much faster than vops.

cheers.

• 11 months later...

I just purchased the shader for use in Houdini 15, and I can't seem to get it working. First of all, is there a demo-scene somewhere that I could try to see if it will work?

The "help" displays an internal error, so I can't find out if there is anything in there that can help me :-)

Currently all I get is a white shape, or only the alpha. I have tried assigning maps on all slots. but that didnät do anything.

I am really looking forward to render som nice PBR skin. Hope someone can help me.

Edited by JoakimO

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2016 at 10:30 PM, JoakimO said:

I just purchased the shader for use in Houdini 15, and I can't seem to get it working. First of all, is there a demo-scene somewhere that I could try to see if it will work?

The "help" displays an internal error, so I can't find out if there is anything in there that can help me :-)

Currently all I get is a white shape, or only the alpha. I have tried assigning maps on all slots. but that didnät do anything.

I am really looking forward to render som nice PBR skin. Hope someone can help me.

If you download the asset from orbolt, it should download an (ugly) head demo. The maps for it are here: http://www.seven-visions.com/tools/skin_demo_01.zip, you need to put them into the same directory (or re-link them)

For a better looking demo, try: http://www.seven-visions.com/tools/skin_head_demo.zip

The help should be fixed in the build I recently uploaded.