Pyro Steam Smoke Stack

John Pilgrim

I'm trying to figure out how to build a pryo sim to emulate the delayed condensation of smoke (actually steam) upon exiting a factory smokestack.

Here is my reference image:

http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-3471176-stock-footage-three-pipes-with-a-smoke.html

Note how the hot gasses are essentially clear upon exit of the smokestack and only turn white after some distance.

What parameters would I need to adjust to configure this in a Houdini pyro sim.

My question is specifically concerning how to set up the sim for the clear to white transition.

For my purposes I do not need to replicate the refraction/distortion within the clear gas flow.

Thank you so much for your help!

John

Thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry if this is a nube issue but I'm having trouble seeing in the Scene View any result of the import_pyro_build.

If I view the AutoDopNetwork, I can see the visualization from the scalarfieldvisualization node.

When the hip file in the thread you referred me to, I get this error (if it makes any difference):

ee_pyro_age_mask-error_on_opening.png

Let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Ah yes, the volume visualization is missing from the viewed node. Either:

- Inside import_pyro_build, set display flag to import_pyro_visualization but render flag to the volume vop. Also enable Multi Field guides in the pyro fluid DOP.

or

- Add a Volume Visualization DOP after the volume vop, and enter density in the Density parameter, heat to Emission and temperature to Emission Color. Increase Emission Scale, put a blackbody (red to white) gradient to the Color Ramp and tweak the Emission Color Range. (in essence, clone the settings in the pyro multi field guide settings)

The former is the standard way the shelf tools set things up, but doing it the latter way you will get you to see the effect of the age field masking.

For the warnings - you have a different build than what was used to create the hip. It's probably harmless.

ee_pyro_age_mask2.hip

• Like 1