hide emission

johnLIC

What is the best way to hide the emission source in houdini? I'm emitting from a deformed sphere in a pyro setup. Everything looks nice except I'd like to fade on the density or something, instead of seeing the density being emitted. If I was using particles I'd fade on the opacity at the beginning of the life span. What is the "equivalent" in a houdini volume? Or, how to achieve that?

• 11 months later...

To expound on the oracle - take your emitter, blur, maybe blend in some slowly moving low frequency noise, then multiply your density field with this mask after it's been imported back into SOPs.

Alternatively, you could create an "age" field you would advect along with density, and increment each frame. This could be used to create a mask of your liking, and mixed in like above. Never tried this, but might be a fun exercise.

Edited by eetu
  • Like 1

To expound on the oracle - take your emitter, blur, maybe blend in some slowly moving low frequency noise, then multiply your density field with this mask after it's been imported back into SOPs.

Alternatively, you could create an "age" field you would advect along with density, and increment each frame. This could be used to create a mask of your liking, and mixed in like above. Never tried this, but might be a fun exercise.

Ok, here's a simple implementation of an age field for pyro

ee_pyro_age_mask.hip

• Like 2

That scene is set up for combustion and is sourcing only fuel and temperature, but no density. Gas resize by default performs the resize based on the density field, so here it shrinks the simulation domain down to nothing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...