Bad Poly, shadows are wrong .

Hi All,

Here I attached a piece of object from a structure built in 3Dsmax and is going to import inside houdini

the problem is when I have  lights with shadows enabled the render is looking strange,

I guessed it is from  normal and I tweaked its normal by facet node , no result.

would you kindly take a look see what else I can do to get rid of this error?

please hit render and see what error I am getting,.

Thanks

stair_bad_02.hip

Guest mantragora

You geometry is big. I had to scale it to 0.001 to see ortho grid at all. Once scaled down it renders OK. Make sure that you have export scale set correctly in MAX.

You geometry is big. I had to scale it to 0.001 to see ortho grid at all. Once scaled down it renders OK. Make sure that you have export scale set correctly in MAX.

Thanks for the tip, actually I cant touch the scaling and transform  of the mesh ,  it is part of a complex structure and all camera , character animation all done and passed to me to lighting, I just cant figure out how to solve that shadow problem on the mesh, the mesh I think all its normals are ok , might it be a bug ? 

Yeah, because of your scale you need to increase your ray bias at /out/mantra_ipr->Properties->Shading->Raytracing Bias.

0.01 seems to be fine.

I changed the bias as you suggested and those errors disapeared ,

Just curios in what else situatations I need to concider changing raytracing bias? . Thanks

You can set individual shadow bias per light when using Depth Map Shadows.

The IPR viewer wont show these by default - it will use Raytrace shadows, but the Mplay render will. You can turn on DepthMap shadows in IPR by adding the Preview folder options to Mantra, then uncheck 'Always Use Raytraced Shadows in Preview'